• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3l turbo swap

ti_criss69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
i have a 2002 ranger 2x4 2.3 and i want to swap a 1987 thunderbird 2.3 turbo into my truck but i dont know if is the same job of a 1996 ranger someone kan help me ???thank you

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
bump, I want to here this people !

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
That would be cool, the only thing I would be worried about is how strict your local inspection station would be come inspection time

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
it's a completely different motor than the older 2.3s with a different engine managment system than anything older than 94. So the answer is no, it's not the same job as it would be in a 96, but anything is do-able. :D

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
isnt the 01+ engine the dual overhead cam duratec engine?? if so, completely different.

doesnt mean you cant boost it. there's starting to be a nice following with them considering the compact classes in NHRA and they are direct competitors with the ecotec engines in the chevy vehicles...

lots of focus's putting out big hp #'s with hairdryers.

I'd first see if SCT supports the ECU. if it does. then it's just a matter of getting good rods/pistons and fabbing up turbo header (or possibly buying one) and tossing on a turbo and some bigger injectors/etc.

sounds a lot harder than it is if you know where to look.

I would honestly do some digging instead of going back quite a bit to a single overhead cam engine like the 88 TC engine...

edit: you live in so cal. might as well give up man. you'll never EVER pass visual or sniffer using either a TC engine OR modding the existing one haha.

the smog nazi's RULE that state with a hardcore iron fist. thank god I live in SC and dont even have emissions :p

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
isnt the 01+ engine the dual overhead cam duratec engine?? if so, completely different.

doesnt mean you cant boost it. there's starting to be a nice following with them considering the compact classes in NHRA and they are direct competitors with the ecotec engines in the chevy vehicles...

lots of focus's putting out big hp #'s with hairdryers.

I'd first see if SCT supports the ECU. if it does. then it's just a matter of getting good rods/pistons and fabbing up turbo header (or possibly buying one) and tossing on a turbo and some bigger injectors/etc.

sounds a lot harder than it is if you know where to look.

I would honestly do some digging instead of going back quite a bit to a single overhead cam engine like the 88 TC engine...

edit: you live in so cal. might as well give up man. you'll never EVER pass visual or sniffer using either a TC engine OR modding the existing one haha.

the smog nazi's RULE that state with a hardcore iron fist. thank god I live in SC and dont even have emissions :p
trouble is in so. cal there are a bunch of corrupt ass people after of course: money. all you would have to do is go to San Fernando Valley and pay $100

shr00m1n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Im gonna do it.

I am looking for the pinout diagram for my 2001. i have an 88 turbo coupe motor just for this.

ti_criss69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
what pinout exactly you want for the 88 or 01 whit 2.3lstock and whit 2.3 turbo i have all shematic ford wiring coming from factory tell me what you want

ti_criss69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I live in Quebec and dont have problem for emissions

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals