• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

just getting started

toxic_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
hi i'm starting a project and wanna lower the truck but don't want to go to low (our city streets suck) so bags or hydros are a deff no, i was thinking of a dropped I-beams with springs and flip kit with a notch out back, let me know what you think or if you got a better idea please let me know and if you have any pics that would be great too thanks.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome . . .

I suppose since you are the Toxic_Ranger I am your nemesis . . . LOL

First - Beams/Springs and Flip Kit/C-Notch will give you ALOT of drop.

Second - Check the Technical Library - link is at the top of the forum index page - and read about lowering options. My Ranger has a 3/4 drop - 3" Front and 4" Rear.

There are not many other options - axle flip or shackle flip, or different leaf springs in the rear, up front the only thing to do is replace coils and beams. Please do not mention of even think of cutting your stock coils. People have done it before and got lucky - the manufacturer designed those springs to work the way they are, when you change the characteristics of them they may fail. Some will argue they have had cut coils forever with no problems - just don't do it bottom line.

Good luck and do a bit of research in the tech area - that should help - then come back with you Q's

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Hazmat has good advice there. I wouldn't recommend cutting coils either. I did it to mine, but I understand the consequences and are prepared to deal with them. My roads aren't horrible, so I haven't had any issues with them for that reason. I have to know that if something does happen and I'm left sitting without springs,... then it's going to suck driving back home. It comes with risk though. Take it in stride or not at all if you can avoid it.

My truck sat damn near level when I got my beams and flip kit put in. I personally don't like level and that's why I cut my springs. I cut a half a coil out and it lowered it .75" in the front. I'm getting tired of hitting bumpstops on a few select dips around here on my way to work, so I'm going to be raising the back end up a bit. I plan on reversing the flip kit on the axle and then flipping the shackles for my leaf springs. For me this will be easy because my dad and I already replaced the rivets with bolts because when I bought the truck the leaf springs were only being supported by the underside of the bed. From that, I have two tears in the bottom of my bed from them being rubbed and beaten like that for at least several months.

I also am putting some monster tires in the back. I'll HAVE to raise my back end up for those to not be risked getting sliced by my fender.

I can't wait for the roads to clear up so I can mount them!!

rat_ranger

December 2009 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
yep a bolt in cnotch is a good idea. it gives you some of your travel back and doesnt go up into the bed. as for the drop being too much, oklahoma has some pretty crappy roads and I am dropped 4/5(newer style suspension) and only scrape my rear bumper going into some driveways. You have to change your driving to suit your drop, but that goes for anywhere no matter how the roads are.

jurevicious824

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
bags really aren't that bad with horrid roads. my buddy happens to own 3 bagged trucks (mitsu, 96 hardbody, titan). We happen to live in bfe, and he gets enough lift outta almost all the trucks for them to sit at stock height. and with shocks on them the ride isn't horrible either

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
yea cleveland streets suck ass and there are many bagged trucks here. yea i flipped mine with dream beams in front and i dropped 3-4 and i have no problem with it. very nicly lowered and ride quality is awsome.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals