• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 44 with a Corporate 14 bolt?

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Wagoneer 44 front paired with a Corporate 14 bolt in the rear?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks,
Adam

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
It's becoming an increasingly more common swap due to Dana 60 fronts getting more and more rare. With some aftermarket goodies for the Dana 44, you'd be set. In fact, I may end up defaulting to this for my Chevy if I can't find a reasonably priced D60 in reasonable condition.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, JohnnyU. Yeah, all the D60s around here are well over a grand and I don't have that type of cash.

I found one with a disk brake conversion last night, I'm taking a look at it today. 250 bucks!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The 14 bolt is a stout axle, and you shouldn't have any problems with it. The only thing i've seen is because of the huge center section alot of people shave the bottom of them to gain ground clearance. Hope it all works out for you

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Sasquatch_Ryda.

A lot of people have told me to sell the 44 and go for a D60 and a 4 link with a 14 bolt rear but I just can't afford that!

The 14bolt 6lug i was looking at sold thismorning before i could take a look at it. Damn!

Are there any other good 6 lug rear axles?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
14-bolt is a beast of an axle. It's rated for 7,500# compared to 5,300# for a rear full-floating Dana 60. You can also install a real Detroit Locker without having to set up the gears.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
If you run a 14bolt, get the Full-Floater. It's the only one worth swapping in and regearing, etc. You can get them for $50-100 in junkyards most of the time. Besides, 8 Lugs are cooler than 6. :headbang:

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I agree that the price of a decent D60 is way too high. That being said, I got mine for free. Wanna know the secret? Don't look for someone selling a D60, look for someone selling a 4x4 F350.

I bought a 91 for $800 bucks, running well but rusty. It was an old service truck. I pulled out the front end, and then sold the rest for $800, and probably could have got more. The best price I could find on just a D60 of any year, any condition was around $1300 with no knuckles. Just what they're worth around here, I guess.

Oh yeah, and it took me almost 3 months to find exactly what I wanted. Just goes to show that if you be patient then you'll have a better chance of finding exactly what you want.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Thanks, JohnnyU. Yeah, all the D60s around here are well over a grand and I don't have that type of cash.

I found one with a disk brake conversion last night, I'm taking a look at it today. 250 bucks!
By the time you add all the goodies to a D44, you're still spending over a grand, and the axle STILL won't be near as strong as a 60 with a simple 35-spl stub upgrade.

I'd do what brendank69 said and buy a whole (junk) truck, yank the axle and off the rest for $$$.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I have seen a few 350s for pretty cheap around here. The F350s use a leaf suspension right? I know it's that way on my friends HighBoy.

I'll look around and try to sell the 44 if I can find something worth while.

Thanks for the advice.

Any specific years of 350s to look for? Did any come with lower gear ratios then others, or spools or positrack straight off the line?

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have seen a few 350s for pretty cheap around here. The F350s use a leaf suspension right? I know it's that way on my friends HighBoy.

I'll look around and try to sell the 44 if I can find something worth while.

Thanks for the advice.

Any specific years of 350s to look for? Did any come with lower gear ratios then others, or spools or positrack straight off the line?

Yes, F350's use leafs. Pretty easy to change to coils though. Look for a F350 that's either 78-79, or 85-91. I'd also check the BOM number on the diff to make sure it's what you want.

The 78-79's have a longer short side, but the overall diff width is the same as the 85-91's. The 85-91's are also a bit of a challenge to get coils on because the pig is so close to the knuckle, but it can be done.

Check this out You'll find everything else you need to know there.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I'm keepin my eyes out on craigslist for a 350. Thanks for the link Brendank, really good info.

I'm guessin the 60 is the way to go. I have a guy calling me back about an 86' 4x4 for under a grand. The add says it's still running, so I bet I could take what I want and sell/scrap the rest and make some money back on the transaction.

I'm gettin anxious to do something!

Thanks,
Adam

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
SRW D60s can be found in F-350s 78,'79, '86-'97 and '02-current (F-250 & 350).

Some guys prefer the kingpin axles (which ended after '91), but the balljoint 60s are still very good axles to use for a swap.

The '02up 60s aren't worth bothering with though unless you get the 10.5 rear with it at the same time (they have an oddball metric lug pattern). Many guys will also fault them for the unit-bearing hubs, although if you ever need to change a shaft on the trail, it takes about ¼ the amount of time (4 bolts and the whole entire thing comes right off).

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Well, beggers cant be choosers. I'll keep my eyes out and post it before I do anything drastic.

Adam

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I'm keepin my eyes out on craigslist for a 350. Thanks for the link Brendank, really good info.

I'm guessin the 60 is the way to go. I have a guy calling me back about an 86' 4x4 for under a grand. The add says it's still running, so I bet I could take what I want and sell/scrap the rest and make some money back on the transaction.

I'm gettin anxious to do something!

Thanks,
Adam
Patients pays off, found a '78 F250 with 60's and a snow plow for $500. I can sell the plow alone for more than that. I have found a 3 others ('77.5-'79) with 60's in the $1,200 to $1,500. Keep your eyes peeled, check the classifieds, check e-bay, craigs list, farmer's fields, under tarps behind garages. Patients and persistence are key...

hick

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals