• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II to Ranger project

lukeburris53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well guys, I rolled my Bronco II over. I was on a county road, I guess it was icy, slid off the road sideways, dug in rolled over and was stopped by a tree. I came out without a scratch, but the B2 didn't fair so well. All windows but the driver and rear hatch were busted. The top is pretty well crushed. Other than the bumpers and a dent in the front quarter panel, that I don't care about, the rest is fine, as far as I can tell.

So now the project. The vehicle is only bad from the fire wall back, so I am thinking I will pull the bronco body off as a unit (thats the way it would come, correct?) and find a regular cab Ranger to put on it. As far as years go, would I have to have a '90 for everything to mate up easily or is it flexible? I assume that it will mount right on the chassis, right?

Behind the cab, I am thinking about constructing a bed from wood. Maybe a flat bed with removable sides. Any problem with this?

Thanks. Feel free to give any input.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
the rear two cab mounts ont he ranger cab do not line up with the B2, but they can be easily fabbed up

lukeburris53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I can weld so thats not a huge deal. Thanks.

dgndngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have an 86 ranger body on a bronco II frame. i didnt do the chop work but if you run into problems/questions i can crawl under mine and look

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'd pull the front clip off, including the inner fenders and core support, and reuse them like you said, then just unhook all the wiring and everything, pull the body off, and drop the new cab on and build the body mounts.

You can use anything from 89-92, but the easiest route would be to find a truck with a 2.9. That way you don't have to mess with wiring or anything like you would with a 2.3 or 4.0 or 3.0.

lukeburris53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. I assume ill have to pull everything out of or off the firewall to remove the body, right?

Are there any legal issues I need to deal with? I assume I should pull the VIN off the B2 and put it on the new one to minimize insurance, license, and title issues. A friend mentioned the wood bed would be an issue with insuring it, something about a modified vehicle, anyone know anything about that?

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Depends on the local and state laws. A flat bed wont be an issue, but in some states (Michigan) the insurance costs go up for some reason.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals