• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

going from 4x4 to 2wd

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
what all is involved in doing something like this? I plan to do this on the 92 explorer in my sig. I know I need the beams, steering, spindles and brakes but what else? I know its obvious I need a 2wd tranny but is it possible or cheaper to convert the tailshaft to 2wd or will the entire tranny need to be replaced? to my knowledge the I beam brackets look to be in the same place on either frame (2wd/4wd) same with the crossmember. any input will be appreciated.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sell your Explorer and find a 2wd one. They are a dime a dozen.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the front engine/suspension crossmember is different between 2wd and 4wd. you'll have to grind all the rivets out of yours and a donor 2wd and bolt the 2wd crossmember into your truck (not fun).

the mainshaft is different between 2wd and 4wd transmissions...and to replace that requires the entire transmission to be disassembled. your best bet would be to swap in a 2wd trans.

but...why not just lower the 4wd and make it AWD? :icon_hornsup:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Does that mean I cant offer to swap him my 2wd setup from '92 ranger for his 4x4 setup?/

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you can. but my point was its not worth it.

plus you would both still need to find appropriate transmissions since yours arent compatible.

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the front engine/suspension crossmember is different between 2wd and 4wd. you'll have to grind all the rivets out of yours and a donor 2wd and bolt the 2wd crossmember into your truck (not fun).

the mainshaft is different between 2wd and 4wd transmissions...and to replace that requires the entire transmission to be disassembled. your best bet would be to swap in a 2wd trans.

but...why not just lower the 4wd and make it AWD? :icon_hornsup:
I'm pulling the front and rear axles from the explorer and using them in my 89 ranger. Since the explorer wouldn't have a front axle and the rear axle from my 89 would be put in it. So I thought I'd make it a 2wd cause I don't really want to junk it after I rape it of its axles. Also in my area I rarely come across any 2wd explorers so I thought it would be cool to make one from the parts truck. Not to mention I already have the existing truck. After hearing this though I may hold off on it or just sas it or find another d35 to throw back in it. It's gonna be hard to get a hold of a 2wd crossmember for cheap cause the Pull-a-part in my area won't let me bring in a cordless grinder. thanks for the info though guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals