• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FM146 to a M50D swap

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just toasted my FM146 Tranny and I was wondering if doing a M50D swap is a direct bolt in or what has to be changed to bolt it in? Any info on the situation would help thanks :headbang:

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It is a direct bolt in. Just make sure you get an early 90's slave cylinder for a 5 speed 4.0 so the clutch line will work with it.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
shift levers,boot,trim,tin floor plate.tranny harness for easy wiring(you can swap plug ends if needed).slave

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is it really worth it to swap from a FM146 to a M50D I thought my throwout bearing was going because it was showing the common signs of it when I pulled it down the through out bearings was fine so I pulled the drainplug and it was metal shavings galore I started to pull it apart to see what bearings I messed up in it but I have yet to find it. I called a couple yards i can get FM146s for 125 already pulled and 250 for a M50D and the rebuild kit for the FM is almost 300 so im trying to figure out what to do now.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you are going to have the FM-146 out, then put back a M50D. It is worth the swap in the strength gained in the M50D.

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was trying to find a swap info. for it and what all is involved in it I found a local yard that has one out of a 91-94 exploder that is already pulled and sitting in the storage area and they want 250 for it. Is it something where its pretty much just bolting it in and not haven to change anything on it or am I going to have to spend more money or getting other stuff to make it swappable? I am gettin mixed reviews some people on another site said id have to change the slave cylinder and a couple of other things in order for it to work and all

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The only parts you will have to change is you will need to get a 4.0 flywheel, 4.0 clutch kit, 4.0 manual transmission starter, and a slave cylinder for a '91-'94 Explorer or Ranger. You will have to run a 16AWG wire from the starter solenoid to the starter to redo the wiring since the 4.0 starter has the starter solenoid on it.

Everything else is a bolt in swap.

Here is the wiring diagram for the 4.0 starter in a 2.9 vehicle.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual

azhrei

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced my fm145 in a 87 ranger from a 92 ranger M50D, I kept clutch, flywheel and starter, things that I had to change driveshaft length, and the clutch pedal had to have a rod to go to the left a couple of inches...

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nvm on doing the swap Im most likely just going to go back to a FM146 if I have to change the clutch out because my clutch is only 2 months old and Im not going to spend that much on a new clutch just to run another tranny I dont have the money right now to spend 6-700 on swapping out a tranny so I will just go back to the FM146 plus I have to have the truck done and ready for monday morning. so it might now be to logical to to a swap from the fm146 to the M50 thanks for the input though I will have to plan on doing it later.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You can do the swap for less than $500 counting buying the transmission and all the parts needed. The M50D is much stronger than the FM-146.

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yea but I only have 300 after paying the bills and all and I dont get another pay check till friday. So at this point theres no way of comen up with another 200+ before tomm morning to be able to have time to swap it all out and get it all put back togeather and have it ready for work on monday so

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You don't have to use the 4.0 parts. You can use your 2.9 parts as well.

Get the M50D and use the 2.9 parts until you can afford to upgrade to 4.0 parts.

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So pretty much the M50D will be a direct bolt it and I can use all of my original parts for my FM146 meaning clutch and starter and all and it will all work. This is my DD and I have plans for doing a 4.0 swap to her before 2010 hits. I just dont have the extra cash now to spare on it once income taxs come I was going to start getting everything togeather to start on it and I been hurrying to get everything caught up and all and was going to start banking 50 a week out of my checks this friday coming up to start to build the funding back up and then I just found out my trannys shot. It was like a kick in the nuts :shok: lol. I was thinking about maybe just getting the FM146 for now thats used and throughing that in. Because my original intentions where to try and find a ranger or exploder with a 4.0 and a M50 already in it as a donor vehicle esentually killing 2 birds with one stone. I would have everything. I missed out on a deal like 3 months ago a friend of a friend had a 92 with 110k on it and got rear ended so he bought a ranger and was selling the exploder for 600 bucks and it had a 4.0 and the M50 in it but I couldnt come up with the cash that was another kick in the nuts. But I have till around 4 to decide on what I want to do as the yard closes at 5.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just get the M50D. That will allow you to find an Explorer with an auto also.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals