• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 44ttb/ Dana50ttb

stroked88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6 245 CID
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone, I have a Dana50TTB out of a 250hd and i was wondering, with all the different things ive heard on lengthening the beams, how many inches do i need to extend the beam to make it the original full-size axle, and do i have to need to extend BOTH beams? I love this site, but i hear soo many things. 1" here 2" there whats the beef? :icon_confused:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
What are you asking? To make it like the coil-sprung version of the D44 TTB?

stroked88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6 245 CID
Transmission
Manual
What i was asking is, how much do i need to lengthen the traction beams and do i need to lengthen BOTH of them? I heard a lot of different things. I hear you are the "man" to talk to when it comes to this stuff 4x4junkie.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you have a 5 lug D44 TTB then you will have to lengthen each beam 1" to retain a Full width on an RBV using RBV pivots. Between the coil and pivot is the best place for this.

The D50 TTB and D44HD TTB use different Beams than the regular D44 TTB. They are also leaf spring. The D50 pig however will bolt to the Coil spring D44 beam, should the D50 have the correct ratio. D50's are more likely to have 4.10 gears over the D44HD and regular D44.

Good luck.

I'm working on a swap into my buddies ranger very soon. Just need to get my bronco back together and get it out of the shop.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
you have to shorten one side and lengthen the other on the pig side. short 2-3 and length 5 plus. i dont remember exactly:icon_confused:. i threw all that shit in a dumpster when i left detroit, i never got to test it out. i had considered using it in my full size psd van but i was moving into a extreme lack of space situation and had to make some tough decisions. i would alter caster and camber at the bj end though and not on the pivot side.

but thats assuming your wanting to swap it to a ranger.

i still may build a hybrid ttb just to do it. pretty content with my 60's though, once i turbo this diesel ttb wont happen in my current rig..thinkin bout a b2 or sploder though.

time will tell:icon_thumby:

do it. get it done:icon_cheers:

stroked88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6 245 CID
Transmission
Manual
Thats the thing i was talking about, conflicting stories. Its confusing. Its a Dana 50TTB 8 lug, leaf sprung. Father in law and i are converting to coil. Im using drop brackets so i dont feel the need to lengthen the beams on the ball joint side. How much different are the 50 beams. I guess if i have to ill just measure the rear axle and then see how much I have to lengthen/shorten or whatever to match the rear axle. This is the only thing ive come to a hard place on this project. Can anyone help me out any more?

stroked88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6 245 CID
Transmission
Manual
One thing i failed to mention is im using the skyjacker 6" coils for an f-150 and the ranger drop brackets. 6" also.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
in a ranger?

shorten the beam on the bj side not lengthen.

lengthen on the pivot side.

if its a full size its a whole different deal. make the k member look like the 250 unit, make offset spacers where the spring holes are in the beams drill new hole to match your desired arm mounting area and bolt on the radius arms. just have to do it with the shaft out. maybe nut and bolt the empty beam and weld the nuts to the inside to make it easir to work on later. converted a few fs to coils but it sucked with the short ass beam and the steering and went back to leafs.

if you have the axle and are doing it to a rbv, drag it over there and the needs will be self evident. basically you make it do what you want it to or take and accept the comprimises.

my goal was equal length d60 beams that i could pound the wee out of worry free.

stroked88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6 245 CID
Transmission
Manual
Ok cool, i think i got it. I have until i go on leave after my deployment so it will be SEVERAL months, so i can plan everything out i need to and when the time comes, i will be more knowledgeable on the deal. If i run into anything or think of anything else, do you mind if I PM ya bobbywalter?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Unfortunately I don't have a leafspring TTB on hand to get measurements from, so I can't tell you exactly how much they need to be lengthened/shortened. Converting it to coils/radius arms is probably the best thing you could do with it though (leafsprings don't belong on a TTB).

I would agree, drag it under the truck and start measuring things. It should become clear how much is needed :icon_thumby:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
no prob with pm's phone calls..but i dont get online much these days so patience is needed.

if i used that axle, i would build it different depending on what i was doing, in my truck i would do it one way in a spoder it would be another...so theres no set way in my eyes. is you want it to mimic factory ranger beams then do that.

not cheap with custom shafts either but you will have what you want.

stroked88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6 245 CID
Transmission
Manual
ok cool, thanks ill message ya if i run into anythings that confuse me with this deal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals