• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Supercharger and Turbo

jammons5126

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I plan on putting a supercharger and a turbo in my 98 ranger 4wd auto trans let me know if that is a good idea or not

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well...for starters, twincharging isn't the best idea nessicarily. secondly, you fail to mention what engine you have, which makes a LARGE difference.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok, fair enough. Hears a few questions: WHY do you want both a turbo, and a blower? No, its not out of the question, but do you understand why its done? Do you plan to re build the bottom end to take that kind of abuse?

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, you're going to have to give some more details on your reasoning behind doing both. For starters, it's going to be pricey to do both. You also might have some space constraints when it comes to piping, coolers, etc. You would probably be a little better off with an engine that has better aftermarket support as well.

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What are you going to do for fuel management? That sounds intense.

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the nissan march had a superturbo like he was talking about. And like a .8l motor.. Planes use them too. Its deff possible. Yet no one believes that when i say it.. Never said practical.. I guess the supercharger would eliminate turbo lag

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
oh, well, i never said it wasnt possable lol, In fact, Detroit Diesel used that set up for YEARS on there two stroke diesels lol....ya, two stroke, screamin deamons lol. Ya, so they used the blower for bottom end and to keep the "air box" charged with compressed air, and the turbo added needed boost to drag the gutless things over the hill. So ya, its possible, and in some applications, veary pratical. But in this one, im kinda left scratching my head...

jammons5126

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well i just want more power for off roading reasons i live in texas in the hill country so i need power to get up some hills around me i am going to add a volant cold air intake, airaid poweraid, jet power mass flow sensor, B&M Engine oil and automatic transmission cooler,and a jet performance power chip i dont know if that is ridiculous or not. for gas i have a 55 gallon fuel tank in the back so i am good or awhile. I am mainly asking this as well because i have a 74 ford maverick with a 460 in it. I have a supercharger and a turbo on that thing and it is bad ass. i took to the Crusin the Coast last weekend it was nice. I just want to see how a 3.0 l engine will handle with a supercharger and a turbo. If you would suggest one which will it be i also have the money to do it so why not ya know

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
:worthless: of the mavrick

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
oh wow, where to start.

none of the items you listed as planned upgrades will take care of your engine management requirements for running a boost. with this kind of setup, you are going to need to have your computer reflashed (OBDII) or a custom computer built (EEV-IV). you'll need some serious fuel system upgrades including lines, pump, injectors, and a regulator.

the bottom end of a stock 3.0 might last minutes on the street with this setup. you start hammering on it off road and you're down to seconds. there is very little aftermarket support as far as pistons, rods, and cranks. you'll probably have to have those custom made as well. the block is stout, but it'll need to be beefed up to last.

you'll need serious cooling system upgrades.

the auto transmissions used in rangers have problems holding up during everyday use with a stock motor. it too will quickly puke on you when you put this much power to it.

depending on year, you might have a 7.5" rear axle..which will also need upgrading.

a 55 gallon drum in the bed is a death trap. its hard to contain the amount of inertia that much fuel presents. and even if you manage to strap it down securely, drums are easily punctured, especially in a rollover. get a smaller tank and secure it properly if you want to live.

i dont mean to be a downer...its just obvious by your current "mods" and list of future "upgrades" that you have no clue what your getting in to.

jammons5126

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
its no downer i am here to learn its better to find out what i can and cannot do without screwing something up i appreciate everything yall are telling me. If i use just a turbo what would i have to do to the engine any mods on it

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
isnt there a twin screw blower available for thr 3ltr? when off roading dependability and driveability are more important then massive horse power, unless your goingto race and tear down the engine after every run.

jammons5126

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i want it to last i want something that will not make the engine break down

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals