• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hard to shift

pops13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 ranger 5 speed, somtimes its hard to fhift into 2nd gear, the other gears seem to be ok. has 155000 miles, I changed the fluid and put in a bottle of lucas trans treatment, it said it would help with hard shifting. the clutch fluid is ok, no leaks seen. what do you think?

ItsA5Spd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure you aren't gettin lazy with the clutch? LOl Have you ever replaced the clutch? I know these things get hard to shift when the clutch starts goin out.

pops13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I only have a hard time going to 2nd, more so when its cold out, it will go into 3rd, 4th and 5th fine, a friend of mine who is a part time mechanic said he thought it was worn sycro"s for 2nd, he said if it was the clutch it would happen in all the gears. after the trans warms up a liitle say 2 or 3 miles it will shift ok. has anyone had this problem?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
It may be your slave cylinder. When your slave cylinder starts to wear out, it becomes hard to switch gears I'm pretty sure

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
I only have a hard time going to 2nd, more so when its cold out, it will go into 3rd, 4th and 5th fine, a friend of mine who is a part time mechanic said he thought it was worn sycro"s for 2nd, he said if it was the clutch it would happen in all the gears. after the trans warms up a liitle say 2 or 3 miles it will shift ok. has anyone had this problem?
It may be your slave cylinder. When your slave cylinder starts to wear out, it becomes hard to switch gears I'm pretty sure
+1

Sounds like my clutch. Only I had a hard time with all my gears expext 1st and reverse. I ended up having the slave cylinder replaced and all my problems went away.

pops13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hard to shift to 2nd

took my truck to a trans shop today, he took it for a ride, it was 3 miles from my house, and by the time I got there it was shifting ok, anyway he told me the clutch was ok, and it has a worn sycro for 2nd gear and to drain the trans and put synthetic 10w30 oil in it, that may help. or just shift from 1st to 3rd until it warms up. he wants $1000 to rebuild trans. This place has been in buissness a long time, but this is not what ford says to put in it, what do you guys think?

koldcustoms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't put anything but gear oil in the trans. Perhaps Ford recommends a substitute formula/weight for cold weather conditions.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't put anything but gear oil in the trans. Perhaps Ford recommends a substitute formula/weight for cold weather conditions.
If you're putting that into a Mazda tranny, then you'd be the most efficient tranny killer :). Mazdas take ATF only.

pops13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
stopped by a ford dealer today, I talked to the trans man, he said I could use either mercon or 5w30 synthetic oil. ford wont let them put in syn. oil but it would do no harm but it may not help either. so I put in syn. oil, lets see what happens.

pops13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
put in the syn. 5/30 did help some but did not completly cure it, but its below 0 here so may be ok when the temp goes up.

koldcustoms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Is it a 4wd? What I do is put the T-case into neutral and the trans into 5th. This will allow the gears to rotate and warm up the oil while the engine idles.

pops13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
re

no its not, I wish it was

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
i had a guy that has rebuild trannies for 60 years tell me to use 30 weight non detergent when it called for atf. he offered to rebuild any 5 speed for free that this method burned up.

mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

yeah me to man and i have 150,000 mile like rolled over in the driveway tonight

its been bothering me latly

mine is getting pissy at 1st and reverse when its just started up to

haraldg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yikes!

If you're putting that into a Mazda tranny, then you'd be the most efficient tranny killer :). Mazdas take ATF only.
Yikes, am I reading this right that in a manual 5 speed Mazda Tranmission in a '95 Ranger I should be using ATF? I was told gear oil when I redid the clutch!
Please let me know!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals