• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

intake question

kilbrethj

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i was thinking about building my own air intake out of a honda one i found on ebay. but when i got to looking at the intake on my truck (94 reg cab long bed 3.0l 5 speed) it has a few things i was worried about. for instance there is one breather or vacume line going to the oil spout on the valve cover. no big deal the honda has a bung for it. but then i notice that it has a few small lines going from the airbox cover to various places. one goes to the lower intake tube and one goes some other place? do i need these for my truck to run good or can i just disgaurd them or re route them somewhere?? I'd like to try and make this system work as much as i can because the intake tube on this motor is rididculous!!! i can see why my 98 2.5l will blow the doors off this truck.. even with a 550lb snowmobile in the back!! lol thanks

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your 3.0 is slower than a 2.5, there is something wrong with it and putting a bigger tube on it is not gonna help. The throttle plate is approximatly 2" any inlet tube bigger than 2" is plenty big enough. The trick to running a 3.0 is to run the Rpms up higher. If i'm jumping out into traffic I shift at about 4000. Normal driving I shift between 2700 and 2900.

kilbrethj

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Wow... i just bought the truck from a buddy and i don't think it has ever seen 4000!!!lol my normal shifts are at 1500!! haha.... this truck has alot of torque but not alot of hp!!! plus it has 190,000 miles on it!! and the 2.5l gives my f350 a run and that is a 460!! it is a powerful little truck!! thanks

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
no, the 3.0 has a lot of horsepower and not a lot of torque, thats why they need RPM to move. 1500 RPM is borderline lugging the engine. take it up to at least 3 grand and see what happens.

a 3.0 and a 460, properly running and driven, will both clean up your 2.5.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 3.0s don't make peak torque until 3600RPM. Rev it out for gods sake. 1500 RPM should be considered 3.0 abuse :nono: I usually shift my 2.9 at 3500 rpm and it makes peak torque 1000 RPM lower than a 3.0...

99stepside

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 E85
Transmission
Automatic
heres my custom intake i made

dosent do much but sounds friggin awesome. and super cheap too...

first i cut the factory air box...

then i connected the o2 sensor to the hose using the adapter. connected the 3 in hose to the throttle body ...

then put in the fram air hog air filter .using the stock MAF and connected the 3 in hose to the MAF. and wualla.:D

now its done and sounds like it has a pair...:icon_hornsup:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
dosent do much but sounds friggin awesome. and super cheap too...

first i cut the factory air box...

then i connected the o2 sensor to the hose using the adapter. connected the 3 in hose to the throttle body ...

then put in the fram air hog air filter .using the stock MAF and connected the 3 in hose to the MAF. and wualla.:D

now its done and sounds like it has a pair...:icon_hornsup:
Wow, I dont know what you've accomplished here other than making your engine look ghetto as hell IMHO.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sorry, but i have to agree. are you driving or drying your clothes? :fie:

99stepside

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 E85
Transmission
Automatic
so funny...

lol. hahahaha. its not dryer hose dummies. allthough it looks like one, its not so much for looks, but sound.. nobody sees under the hood when your driving.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If your 3.0 is slower than a 2.5, there is something wrong with it and putting a bigger tube on it is not gonna help. The throttle plate is approximatly 2" any inlet tube bigger than 2" is plenty big enough. The trick to running a 3.0 is to run the Rpms up higher. If i'm jumping out into traffic I shift at about 4000. Normal driving I shift between 2700 and 2900.
Pony, if you are "jumping out" to only about 4000rpm you are going slower than you need to...

The horsepower peak of a 3.0 engine is at 5000rpm
The engine doesn't even make peak torque until 3000rpm.
In 1st gear 5200-5300 isn't even out of reason...

You should drive a 3.0 Taurus with a tach sometime and see where the computer upshifts when you are going flat out:)

provided you don't run it out of oil or coolant a 3.0 will run at 4000rpm literally until hell freezes over.

AD

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual

:idiot:

realistically, the 3.0's peak torque starts at about 3500, and begins to taper at 4k. shifting at 4k drops the rpm to about 3000 at the beginning of each gear, which is only 500 rpm below the peak torque level. so its really not that "soon".

that said, i usually take mine to 5k when im pushing it. gotta make that horsepower work for ya.

Last edited:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
I hope the Vulcan under my hood is all that you say it is, but above 4,500 it just doesn't give me a lot of confidence that it's going to hang together... :'/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals