• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Advice Needed

DangerRanger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I purchased my 97 ford ranger used about 2 months ago. Since i bought it i noticed the transmission acted up every once in a while. Today my dad decides that i have to go pick him up a washer and dryer not to sure how heavy it was but a decent amount for a 4 banger. anyways i noticed driving it whined the entire 10 minute drive and when i got home i noticed a burning smell. not to sure if it was the breaks (dont think so i was pretty easy on them) or my tranny. any suggestions or things i can do to keep my tranny running smoothly for as long as i can?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
tranny flush?

Rico

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If you have a manual definitly check the clutch fluid level. If it's low the clutch could possibly not engage all the way and burn a little. Four bangers are known to have this sort of thing go wrong.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
could be clutch if its manual... could be a locked up caliper, could be a lot of things.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Washers and dryers tend not to be all that heavy. They aren't much more than pieces of sheet steel with a couple of not-terribly-large electric motors.

As has been said, it could be a lot of things. Manual transmission whines in particular are often different and sometimes absent in 4th gear.

I'd suggest a thorough brake and wheel bearing inspection, and stick a finger in each fill hole in the vehicle (after running) to see fluid condition.

Before going there, note if the whine is speed dependent, RPM dependent, or whatever, as that will give you a clue as to where to look. And don't overlook the possibility that it might be an engine component such as the alternator or power steering pump (the latter are NOTORIOUS for whining like two year olds -- to the point that with a tiny amount of practice, you'll be able to identify passing Fords blindfolded).

DangerRanger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
im going to leave it for tonight since its cold and dark i forgot to mention it was automatic trans. and as for tommoro ill get a trans fluid change since i bet its never been done. As for a engine component being a possibility ive noticed since i bought it the battery light flickering rapidly could be the belt or even the altenater. thanks for the quick responses =)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals