• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer doesnt work till i get to 30mph

akacabbage

Reaction score
I have a 99 2wd ford ranger and the speedometer (also the tripometer (assuming the odometer doesnt work either)) doesnt work untill i get to 30 mph. Does anybody know if '99's have cables or not?

Ranger23695

Reaction score
Check the speed sensor on the rear end.. Most of the time they go open. you can check it with an ohm meter..

Riddle_Rob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Abs sensor has to do with speedometer? Sorry I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to mechanics. My speedometer does the same thing but doesn't work at all most of the time. When its cold out, in winter time lets say, it works 100% until the engine bay and cab are warmed up. Then it quits. EVERYTHING works except the speedometer and odometer after that. The sending unit has been replaced at the transmission and had a shop look at it and they cant figure it out. I was wondering, maybe I need a new cluster? Maybe some of the solders only work when they are condensed from the cold then break apart when warm? Any help would be great.

Riddle_Rob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
AS well, my ABS has been disconnected. I bought htis truck from a dealer and had them safety it etc. When I got it the ABS light was on and ABS doesnt work as I can lock up my wheels. I hate ABS anyways but if it has something to do with speedometer its going to be a complicated fix? Anyone know?! Its a 96 Ranger 2.3L 5 speed.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i dont remember when the ranger went to an electronic speedometer. it would either be in '95 when they switched to OBDII, or in '98 when they changed everything else. someone refresh my memory :buttkick:

but yes, the speedometer is run off of the ABS sensor in the rear differential on models with electric speedos.

Riddle_Rob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm, it's weird though. It comes on when cold and doesnt work when warm? And I'm 95% sure they replaced the sending unit on it. Did the same thing with old and new unit.

dkwells19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 98 Ranger is doing the same thing..never paid attention to the temperature though. It happened a little while after my cruise control was deactivated due to recall....but I think that is coincidental. Sometimes the speedometer works....usually will go up to 60-65..then just cut out to 0....it will usually become active of and on while I'm driving...but my truck has had 165 miles and change for about 2-3 months now....so it usually is not working. I replaced the VSS sensor on the rear trany ($30 at Ford) but that seemed to do nothing.....followed the cable to where it enters the truck under the driver for obvious gorund hazard but found nothing. Removed the instrument cluster to see if I could find an obvious problem..since I'm no wiring expert I was basically hoping to find a mouse chewing a wire! I did bang the cluster once and now my radio will suddenly go out of tune while driving....display will show random things...once it said "call". Anyway it's going to the dealer Monday as I am at the limit of my limited skills....I'm not thay hopeful...anyone have any ideas? I've seen some posts that point to the "GEM"..is that common? Is that an "do-it-yourself" job? Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals