• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Toyo-kogyo Tk5

tootalltechie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
I no longer hav
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1986 2.9L TK5 2WD extened cab
I keep having the same problem. My transmision keeps popping out of the shifting fork. The shifting bushing (round ball) moves up the shift lever. Is there a quick and permanent fix for this problem. What would be the Ford part number. I do not want to replace the whole shift lever.

thanks for any info:icon_thumby:
Gordon

tootalltechie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
I no longer hav
Transmission
Automatic
Update

My shifter pops out while shifting into reverse. It moves past the stop then pop. Does anything besides the shift lever need to be replaced. With 460K km could something be worn out?:icon_rofl:

tootalltechie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
I no longer hav
Transmission
Automatic
update

I was on my local library WEB site and found the
"EBSCO Auto Repair Reference Center"
and found that there was a recall for the 1986 -87 Ranger and Bronco II trucks equipped with Mazda five-speed manual transmissions.
Toyo Koygo (TK5)

Part Number
E7TZ-7210-S
Discription
(kit, Shift Lever Assembly)
Class
BG

tootalltechie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
I no longer hav
Transmission
Automatic
update

I went to the local Ford dealer to order the Shift lever. I can not just get the Ball pivot.

tootalltechie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
I no longer hav
Transmission
Automatic
Update the install

Pictures of install
first image is the old Shift lever
second is the boot loosened
third is the place on the transmission that shift lever goes, note the Brass spring and transmission is in neutral
fourth image is the shift lever transmission end
I had to remove the shifter knob to get the boot off. Knob was glued on so this had to have been done before. The new Shift lever came with 4 new bolts. It was just a matter of putting everything back together with the new parts. Then installing the old boot and shifter knob. I did not find this job hard at all.
test drive time
Works great, a little stiff but other than that :yahoo:
Thinking of changing the fluid in the transmission should I go with a synthetic or just regular ford spec?

Attachments

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I was going to say (a bit late, but oh well) that you could find a TK4 speed and use it's shifter mechanism.

You'll have to elongate two of the holes, but other than that it's a hell of a better shifter. It's made out of solid machined metal instead of having a plastic ball glued on for a pivot.

JohnnyUku

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter, 6 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Can this problem with the shifter cause the transmission to pop out of reverse or not be able to hold in reverse? I can put my Ranger in reverse and by holding the shifter very hard, the reverse gear works. No grinding or whatever, but if I relax, it pops out. Is this a problem with the shifter or the transmission. Mucho dinero rests on the answer to this question!!!:icon_confused:

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I can't help you much on why it's popping out of reverse, but I can say thank you for bringing this topic back up.

Today I had located my Tk4 shifter that I was going to take pictures of post up here to show the quality differences between it and the TK5 shifter.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Can this problem with the shifter cause the transmission to pop out of reverse or not be able to hold in reverse? I can put my Ranger in reverse and by holding the shifter very hard, the reverse gear works. No grinding or whatever, but if I relax, it pops out. Is this a problem with the shifter or the transmission. Mucho dinero rests on the answer to this question!!!:icon_confused:
That sounds like a problem with the transmission. It may be that the reverse gear is worn, or the reverse shift fork is worn preventing it from fully engaging. Fixing it is gonna mean a tear down of the trans to replace some parts. But you can remove the shifter stalk first and make sure the little plastic ball bushing hasn't fallen off. If there is a lot of play in the shifter that may be the case.

Interested in seeing difference between the TK shifters. IF the TK4 doesn't have the stupid plastic bushing holding the shifter in the mounting cradle I'll go get one. I know there is at least one in the yard I frequent.

Last edited:

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Tk5 shifter tower

Tk4 shifter tower

All you would need to do is elongate two of the holes that don't fully line up in the second picture, and (I think) shorten the spring so that it lets it go into reverse. When I bolted it on to test it, it worked fine except that I couldn't get it into reverse... My dad's already done the swap, but I forgot to pick his brain on what all he modified to get it to work. I'll post that up later.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Aw that one has those stupid pins through the shifter handle with the rubber/plastic bushings that wear out and make the shifter flap around. I might grab one anyway and see if I can "fix" the little bushings with some large roll pins or something.
Thanks for the photos.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I don't think that you'll have too big of a problem with that shifter and the bushings wearing out...

The M5's go for a hell of a long time before they need replacement.

I know mine are original and they're still good. My truck has 315,000 miles on it.

JohnnyUku

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter, 6 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Wow! Thanks for the great pics on that shifter. Now I know what to look for on the shifter issue. I am shopping pretty hard for a replacement transmission. If you guys know where to locate a Tk-5 4x4 for an '84 with a 6 cyl. 2.8 liter, let me know.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Wow! Thanks for the great pics on that shifter. Now I know what to look for on the shifter issue. I am shopping pretty hard for a replacement transmission. If you guys know where to locate a Tk-5 4x4 for an '84 with a 6 cyl. 2.8 liter, let me know.
That... is going to be hard to find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals