• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No spark at coil

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I just swapped out the motor from my '88 for a good one from a '90. I got it in and it was running good. It was idling for about 8-10 minutes while I was making sure everything was ok, and cleaning up, then it just cut out. It didn't seem to sputter, just die. I determined it has no spark at the coil. Could it be possible that once it warmed up something grounded out or something? I had to give up for the night since I spent 12 hrs on it today, but its my DD so I'll be back on it tomorrow.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I just swapped out the motor from my '88 for a good one from a '90. I got it in and it was running good. It was idling for about 8-10 minutes while I was making sure everything was ok, and cleaning up, then it just cut out. It didn't seem to sputter, just die. I determined it has no spark at the coil. Could it be possible that once it warmed up something grounded out or something? I had to give up for the night since I spent 12 hrs on it today, but its my DD so I'll be back on it tomorrow.
Sounds VERY simular to what happened with mine....:shok:
check connections & grounds 1st ....mine ended up being the pickup coil under the distributor and or combination of pickup coil & TFI module

hope that helps

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Ok thanks, I'll check that out. I got it running again for a few minutes then it died. IT sat for about a half hr while I messed with all the harness connections, then I got it to fire up. I took it around the yard a bit and around the block and it was running good. I shut it down and it fired right back up. I assumed I fixed it, so I drove 5 miles home, then it died right as I turned into my driveway. I'll check it again in a little bit to see if maybe it start once it cools off or something... Other than this, it runs great. It doesn't even tick!

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I just tried it again, and still nothing. So it has to be some ground or something that works it way free just a little bit.

It also seems to be cranking extremely fast...I don't know if that's related or not.

Last edited:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Is the pickup coil the half circle part in the dizzy? I have the old distributor and everything works on that so i may steal some parts off of it.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Nevermind, I got it figured out. I was putting the cap back on the distributor and bumped the plug going for the TFI module and noticed it was loose. I plugged it in and now Im good to go. Thanks man!

Now to figure out that tick/knock/exhaust leak....

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
It definitely sounds like a lifter to me. It was just parked for a couple hrs....Can a lifter stick just like that?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals