• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going V8......sorry if you this question is a broken record

kanibuz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sup guys This is my first post. I bought a 4cyl 93 ranger a few months back. I was going to use it as a DD but i also own a 03 cobra and it's real hard not to drive it. anyway the ranger has been sitting in the driveway leaking oil, family is pissed. Last week i had a tough decision to make. Either donate it to CARS FOR CAUSES or keep it and make it a project. So i'm keeping it. I'm a very crafty person and i love to demo and build, my budget is not too bad either, so it should be fun.

I'm planning on a 4.6 from a mustang GT with an auto tranny. I don't want a drag truck or anything along those lines. i just want a nice sounding truck that i can depend on to take me anywhere. I'm thinking auto tranny and probably lower it a bit, maybe even bags. As far a color i'd like flat back but might go with silver or black. Not sure what wheels fit these body styles best but i'll do them in balck.

I have many questions so please bare with me.

1rst. is a 4.6 even possible

2nd. will i need a rear end from a mustang or is the one i have strong enough.

3rd. will i need a custom driveshaft

Lmk what you think guys. i'm taking the interior apart tomorrow. i'll take pics also. any help would be great thanks.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
check with 281ranger he has a 98 with a 4.6 and had pics of a sohc 4.6 in an older truck.

mudranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the 4.6 is possible, but alot of extra work, because it physically alot larger than a 302 or a 351, so there is a lot more cutting, banging, trimming and bending to be done.
If you have the choice, go with a 5.0 or a 351, if you can find one. The job itself will be much easier, and you will have your V8.
Having said that, I recently switched my 84 Ranger from a 2.0 to a 5.0, and it was still a lot of work, but worth every bit of it. I used the drivetrain from a 93 mustang and went with a custom dual exhaust with flowmaster 40's so it has that growly mustang sound. plenty of power and is my everyday driver.
Whichever v8 you decide on, you will defintely be changing the rear. your best bet for this is a complete 8.8 rear from another ranger (bolts right up) or from an explorer or a mountaineer (gonna have to weld new spring perches on). The mustang has a totally different rear end set up, and just won't fit.
You are also probably going to have to modify the drive shaft, the stock one will be a little long.
You will also have to completely replace the cooling system, since it won't support the V8. This will take a lot of measuring and fabbing, but is not rocket science.
Also, look at replacement of the CPU and harness- try to get the complete set up from the donor vehicle.
There are any number of other thing that will have to be replaced, relocated or completely made from scratch- mounts, lines, connections, filters etc....but as a project, its a worthwhile one.
Good luck with it, and any problems you have, ask here, somebody else probably already figured it out and can help.

kanibuz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
that's an awesome response thank you. you just gave me a great idea. I've always wanted a notchback fox body mustang. I'll look around for a 5.0. i'll make that my donor car and then drop a 5.4 on the mustang. That sounds sweet. you guys will be hearing a lot from me and i appreciate your help.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Since you have a '93 Ranger I would suggest going with a sbf. The 4.6 has been done in a pre-'98 Ranger, but it requires moving the steering box to outside the frame. In the '98-up it really isn't that much harder than installing a small block.

If it should ever happen that your '03 Cobra gets totalled, the '98-'00 4 cyl Rangers are very inexpensive.:3gears:

kanibuz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if the cobra ever gets wrecked i will go into depression. i've never loved a car that much in my life. hope the ranger gives me the same feeling.

mudranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
You will, don't worry, because: A. you built it yourself, B. it will confuse, scare, and intimidate all those obnoxious ricers with their fart can mufflers (at least until you stop, then they will all want to check out your set up) and C. at its heart it is still a truck, and you can throw stuff in the back...

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
C. at its heart it is still a truck, and you can throw stuff in the back...
I've hauled all kinds of stuff in mine since the swap. Took a load of scrap metal to the recycling center and the guy in the yard noticed right away it didn't sound like a normal Ranger. Gave him the full hood-up tour out amoungst the mountians of scrap.

You could also toss in a cooler, couple lawn chairs, grill, jack, tool box, and a pair of slicks and head to the dragstrip for day.

zachis4wheeling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
drof
Transmission
Automatic
To answer yur questions real quick....

yea, a 4.6'll work, with the obvious size complication being the main issue.

You will also need a new rear driveshaft due to the diffewrent drivetrain length unless you re-located the engine position above the front wheels and went forward with the drivetrain to move it towards the radiator which would be stupid just to keep yur drivehaft length the same.

And yea, I'd definitley start lookin for either a 31 spline 8.8. Yurs has the 7.5 ford axle in it right now which likes to go ka-bang when ya throw power/torque at it. I'd look for an axle from an FX4 level II ranger or one of the 98 - 01 disc braked sploder....that is, if you can find one since the jeep fags love em so much.

302_Stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if the cobra ever gets wrecked i will go into depression. i've never loved a car that much in my life. hope the ranger gives me the same feeling.
Lol i hear ya..those terminators are mean...if it did somehow get totaled , and the engine wasnt damaged severly.......hehe s/c'd dohc 4.6 ranger!

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
A. The 4.6 is not an easy swap. B. You may or may not have to make driveshaft mods. You will have to wait and make that decision after the engine and trans are in place. C. You do not have to swap the rearend. Even a 7.5 will hold for awhile, that depends on how much power and traction you apply to it. Check to see what rear you have 1st. Your 93 may already have an 8.8. If it is, the only stronger part is the carrier, the alxes are the same as a 7.5.

Chic N Stew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9ltr
Transmission
Manual
i know a 4.6 is possible, i had a 350 sbc(5.7) in mine, but then went to the 2.9 hell of an upgrade right, but im gonna be putting in a 351W this summer so i know a 4.6 is possible

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
You will also need a new rear driveshaft due to the diffewrent drivetrain length unless you re-located the engine position above the front wheels and went forward with the drivetrain to move it towards the radiator which would be stupid just to keep yur drivehaft length the same.
When I did my 4.6 swap I used the stock Ranger driveshaft with the trans yoke changed. It was just a touch shorter than I liked so I went looking and found one from a Crown Vic fit almost perfect. Now that the Ranger is getting lowered I might end up going back to the Ranger's stock driveshaft.

i know a 4.6 is possible, i had a 350 sbc(5.7) in mine, but then went to the 2.9 hell of an upgrade right, but im gonna be putting in a 351W this summer so i know a 4.6 is possible
None of those engines are even remotely simular to a mod motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals