• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

K Member question

Car Enthusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Are the K Members the same between a 91-94 explorer and 1990 bii? I am wondering as I have my eye on a couple explorers that are for sale, and I want to swap in the complete drivetrain and 4wd from the explorer. If the k members are the same, then that would make it a lot easier to just unbolt them and roll the motor/trans/suspension and all under the bii.

fordmandan87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87/92/97/11
Make / Model
Ford×3/Freightl
Engine Size
/5.0/4.0/7.3/DD15
Transmission
Manual
yes they are 83-97 rangers, 84-90 bronco2s, and 91-94 explorers all share the same front suspension and frame setup the only difference is if you have a d28 or d35 as the front axle

Car Enthusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
awesome to hear, that will make things soooo much easier

care if i pm you fordman, about what swaps and what doesn't into a 90 bii

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
yes they are 83-97 rangers, 84-90 bronco2s, and 91-94 explorers all share the same front suspension and frame setup the only difference is if you have a d28 or d35 as the front axle
Not quite. 2wd Rangers have a different suspension crossmember than the BII or Explorer. The BII and Explorers have the same crossmember weather they are 2wd or 4x4. The 4x4 Explorer/Ranger/BII suspension will bolt into a 2wd BII, you just have to change the pivot bracket for the passenger side beam on the driver's side of the crossmember. 2wd BII and Explorer axle beams are different than a rangers.

If the k members are the same, then that would make it a lot easier to just unbolt them and roll the motor/trans/suspension and all under the bii.
There is no K member to unbolt like a car. They are one piece truck frames. You can swap components from one frame to the other.

Car Enthusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ah, okay don't know what I was thinking thinking it had a k member since it is a full frame vehicle. So follow my train of thought here. I know a 4.0 liter will swap and the try will swap, I am figuring if I buy a complete explorer it will make it easier to put in the 4wd suspension and rear end also. I am wanting to put the newer dash in also, or at least the dash surround from the explorer since the actual dashes look the same so I can put in all of the electronics and guages from the newer explorer. Pretty much if it is the explorer mechanically I am going to try to put it in the bii.

fordmandan87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87/92/97/11
Make / Model
Ford×3/Freightl
Engine Size
/5.0/4.0/7.3/DD15
Transmission
Manual
Not quite. 2wd Rangers have a different suspension crossmember than the BII or Explorer. The BII and Explorers have the same crossmember weather they are 2wd or 4x4. The 4x4 Explorer/Ranger/BII suspension will bolt into a 2wd BII, you just have to change the pivot bracket for the passenger side beam on the driver's side of the crossmember. 2wd BII and Explorer axle beams are different than a rangers.
sorry bout that i was only referring to 4wd frames as that is what i thought he was referring to... thanks for the info as i did not know all that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals