• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 M5OD Locked in 4th

rneal55555

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My transmission locked it self in 4th gear. I was pulling a long hill and shifted from 5th into 4th to maintain speed. After I crested the hill when I tried to shift back into 5th the shifter was very stiff coming out of 4th but did move some, it appears in the neutral position or nearly so, however there is not play at all in the lever and it refuses to move anywhere no matter what I do.

The transmission is still in fourth gear I managed to drive it home in 4th about 130 miles.

My thought is to just by a used transmission for $300-$400 and swap it out.

I'm wondering though if this is something that happens and if there is a fairly easy fix without a complete transmission tear down and a significant cost savings for parts.

The truck has about 170,000 miles on it with the original clutch I've been wondering how much longer it could last, guess I'm not gonna find out because no way is that transmission coming out without a new clutch kit going in.

rneal55555

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
Where I'm at, I talked to a friend whose step son has a high mileage Ranger with an M5OD and it did basically the same thing. He had it towed into a dealer(I think) and they replaced the sifter bushings and it has been ok since. So I decided to replace them in mine and see what it got me. I found an article in the tech library

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/shifterbushings.htm

As mine was in 4th when I started I had to use a screw driver ti get it into neutral after the shifter ball was removed. Put it back together and so far during a short test drive it shifts fine,
I'll let it go a while and post a follow after a more thorough testing

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Good deal..

rneal55555

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
Just a follow up, so far so good probably driven 400 or so miles and no shifting issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals