• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tachometer info update for tech library

lilrebelranger67

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
on 1995-97 rangers no matter which cluster you have, you do not have to put any wires through the fire wall, take your cluster out, the wide, white connector in the back of the cluster has two wires (on mine they were yellow and tan, and yellow and black) you can simply splice the green wire into the yellow and tan wire. and for the other wires you can splice into your radio. white wire can be spliced into the dimmer and the red wire can be spliced to 12 volt igntn/accesory. simply ground the black wire and ta da you have a working tachometer. info given was for an autometer phantom II mini monster that i mounted on my dash. took about maybe 45 minutes to an hour to finish including taking out and putting back the intrument cluster. just thought that this would be a helpful addition to the tach info in the library.:icon_thumby: edit: autometer recommends a 4 amp 3awg inline fuse for the red wire so thats what i used for mine

Last edited:

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
This'll help me when i want to put a tach in my 97, i was planning on putting a bunch of wire thru the firewall....thanks for the warning!!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Updated. Thanks!

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a '95-'03 Ranger without a tachometer, you can also swap in a '95-'03 Ranger or '95-'01 Explorer cluster with a tachometer without doing any modifications or a "ricer" style tachometer. The '95-'03 Ranger and '95-'01 Explorer tachometer clusters are a plug and play swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals