• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'84 hatch/handle repair

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well I redid my hatch and got my '84 only latch working correctly. This one needs the key to operate. But the hatch being fiberlglass means a stiff turn on the handle, even without a key and the entire assembly will turn. This chews up the fiberglass and then you have a sloppy piece of junk. This is what I found with my '84 I just purchased. So , I made a metal insert that was notched as needed to fit the handle/lock assembly. I recessed it into the fiberglass and covered it back up. Now I have metal embedded in the fiberglass which is what Ford should have done from the beginning.

Attachments

TAZ84BroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
i agree

i drive a 84 bII, and have had that exact prob with my tailgate ever since i got it. granted its a nice option incase your a dumb a** and leave your keys inside. but i do need to get that little addative done because of the stereo that i have inside.

dan

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well follow my pictures and you can do it :)

Hawkeye58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Mods

Real nice ideas on doing the needed mods to get the handle to work.
I have my hardware, now I have to decide which way to install. I have a feeling I will end up with a hybrid of different hardware married together along with the repositioned key cylinder. Basicly a '88 gate with the opening window of a '84. Best of both worlds.
Thanks for the inputs on this you guys. You are really helping me get the feel for what I intend to do. This forum is a huge help.

Hawkeye :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals