• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Body dropping?

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was wondering whats the scoop on body dropping my 86 extended cab? Do anyone know if there is any kind of kit that will get a bodydrop started or does all the work have to be custom?

Last edited:

rat_ranger

December 2009 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
there are 2 kinds of body drop. traditional, where you raise the floor so the rockers drop down and stock floor where the frame is replaced with box tubing that is shorter. there is no kit so yes it is all custom. either way you have to redo the mounts for the core support and raise the bed floor. you have to decide which way you want to do it so your question can be answered better on how to do it.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
definitely no kit for this one. Though some have joked about making a bodydrop kit for S-10s, since everything else is bolt on for them.

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i was planning on just traditional dropping the rockers. my parts guy has a body dropped and bagged 03 Ranger. He said it took him and his dad 40 hours of work? But he seems pretty shady to me. lol. how much work would be in it after it were done?

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
a lot of work, lol. This isn't something that can really be timed, everyone is different. Your parts guy could very well be telling the truth, hell 40 hours is a lot of time, and body dropping is a lot of work.

Heres some pictures of a bodydrop in progress..

lets not forget that we have to lower the front framehorns for the core support..

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh i think im gonna wait on this one until I have some more time. THanks for the pics though really hleped alot

koldcustoms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you bought a urethane body mount kit and installed the mounts upside down you would get about .75" of drop. I did this with a project muscle car I own. I was difficult to center the body over the frame, and I had to notch out small sections of the floor for clearance, but I'm satisfied with the result.

Or you could mount the cab/box flat on the frame. It won't be a comfortable ride if you do this, however.

It all depends on how far you want to drop.

Last edited:

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i need new body mounts to safety so ill experiment with the flipping them. i am lowering it 6/8 soo...........i want it low. lol.

hitman_motorsports

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
this is sick, but i have questions on exactly where to cut..lol i know the back etc, in realaity i have to separate the floor from the overall cab and make the adjustment up front in the firewall to make the back in the

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Like my buddy told me who is doing a traditional body drop on his 85 toyota. "Man get you a stool sit on the center hump and cut the cab all the way around when the body pops lose and hits the floor take some sheet metal and fill in the holes, Simple as that!" He made it sound pretty easy but he has been body dropping his for about 3 months :icon_rofl:. It is no easy task make sure you have the know-how to cut the body right and put it back together because once you cut it you're in it till the end. I could never do it on my own but luckily I have a few buddies that are experts in this area.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals