• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lowering

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 2004 bare bones "stock" ranger and i would like to drop the back to have that " level " look and was wondering what the best way would be to acheve this look?
thanks for any advice..:icon_cheers:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
shackle flip. check the tech library, theres a writeup on it.

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so using the factory hanger and shackle and just fliping them over will lower the rear of the truck and make it sit level? i thought that it would be higher in the front after doing that or are the stock shackle's the right lengh fliped?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
depends on how much rake you have now. a shackle flip is good for roughly 2" of drop in the back. if its too much, you can always make up the height later with more leaves.

you could remove a leaf from your pack, but thats going to make the back squishier which some people dont like.

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks wicked...the truck is 100 % stock and has that sits higher in the back for " load squat " as i'll call it. i don't haul anything exept my 4 wheeler gear in the bed. the atv is allways on my 4x6 trailer so i don't have to deal with the mess in the bed and it's easyer for my crippled ass to get off the trailer :icon_rofl:...

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Wicked, it must be true that all Rangers don't act alike--I keep reading that everybody gets a 2" drop by flipping the rear hangers/brackets, but I measured frame to ground distance before & after the flip--I got 4" drop (total 5" when I removed the overload leafs)--the ride got better, now the rear end doesn't hop around on these Louisiana roads(test-tracks for Army tanks). But now the most I can haul in the back is a 600# Harley, but I'll add adjustable air shocks. Thanks for all the advice from you guys---it's saved me a lot of TMT(TimeMoneyTrouble) in 2008, but I am keeping the Harley mufflers on the '89 to '36 :yahoo:

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok i have the shackle flip done . how do you measure for difrent sized shocks or will the factory length be ok? i took my bumb stops completely off for now and haven't driven the truck out on the road..

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the factory shocks will probably bottom out. you should have measured your pre-lower ride height from thre bumper to figure out what shocks you need. failing that, you can probably just guestimate and be alright.

if it were me, i'd cut the factory bump stops in half and re-install them. better to have something there at least.

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the factory shocks will probably bottom out. you should have measured your pre-lower ride height from thre bumper to figure out what shocks you need. failing that, you can probably just guestimate and be alright.

if it were me, i'd cut the factory bump stops in half and re-install them. better to have something there at least.
ok wicked i figured i'd put the quad on the trailer and set my skoal can on the axle and mesure for the size of the bump stop that should get me close.
care to take a guess on shock size now that i'm an idiot and didn't think ahead? could i measure a diffrent truck and get something close?
or what would you sugest?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you could try measuring a stock truck...but all trucks sit a little different. take a stab on how much drop you got....2"? 3"?

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Wicked, Grey. --- I just got thru being there & doing that. Now that you have the truck sitting the way you want, measure from the shock top-bolt to the bottom bolt----for example 12.5". Go to a NAPA store & ask em to let you look thru their shock catalog(with all the dimensions). Pick out the style shocks(eye-holes) and the length you need ( for example: if you measured 12.5" from the top shock bolt to the bottom shock bolt, you would need a shock with a compressed length of approx. 8.5" & an fully extended length of approx.16.5") Just make sure you have rubber bump stops installed so your axle doesn't have more than 3.5" of clearance before it hits the bump stop, or you'll bottom out the new shocks & ruin them. Wicked, splain this so it makes more sense. :icon_hornsup:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you nailed it man :icon_thumby:

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys i feel like such a moron for not knowing half of this before i started this project:dunno:
:icon_cheers:to everyone..

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
gotta learn somehow. some people (myself included) learn best with greasy hands :icon_thumby:

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just put 93 Nissan Hardbody shocks on mine in the rear, but I still need to cut the bump stop down. I asked the parts store if I could compare the stock Ranger and Nissan shocks - the Nissans are about 2 - 3 inches shorter fully compressed. I like seeing the actual thing rather than comparing numbers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals