• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R55E Vent Hose Question

timbell99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First I would like to say Thanks to all the members. I just recently found this site and there is tons of great information.

My question is; I am replacing the transmission in my son's 1995 Ranger 4.0, 4x4, with the 4R55E. I am replacing the trans and transfer case as one unit. The assembly coming out of the truck has a hose from the metal vent tube, that connects at the top of the trans with a rubber hose, goes into a long, thin metal tube that comes down by the shift linkage, then it has a rubber hose connected to the end of it going to the vent on the transfer case. It looks like this hose is approx 5/16 or 3/8. Is this correct? The assembly that I am getting ready to install does not have anything between the metal tube and the transfer case, and I want to make sure I connect this right, since these transmissions have enough trouble on their own.
I know on some vehicles transmissions and transfer cases vent thru a valve in the rubber hose, and not to each other. Also, these may not be vents at all and it is not connected properly.
Thanks in advance for your help!!

Tim

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The T-case has it's own vent hose that's all rubber and goes up to the top of the bellhousing. The trans has the vent as you described . Make the the new trans vent look like the old one and you should be good.

Do the trannys look the same ??

timbell99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the info, but I guess I'm still confused. In short, what you are saying is that the trans and transfer case have their own vent hose, and they do not connect to each other?
If the transfer case hose runs up above the bellhousing, then where does the hose from the transmission run, once it is connected the the metal line down by the shift linkage? And do they need vent caps at the end of each hose?
I just bought the truck and knew the trans was bad, purchased a replacement trans/transfer asm, but I think the unit in the truck has the hoses incorrect. Basically they just connect the trans to the transfer, which in my opinion, would not let things vent correctly.
Yes, both units look identical. Thanks to the information that I had all ready read here at the site, I knew what to look for.
I just want to make sure I reassemble it correctly. If this hose transfers fluid between the two halves, then I understand, but they just look like vents to me.
Thanks again.

Tim
95 Ranger Ext cab 4.0 auto
96 Ranger 2.3 5spd Reg cab

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals