• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pilot bearing or clutch? or... both?

Danyokim77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Clutch help!

The past week or so I've noticed that my clutch pedal was slowly grabbing lower and lower. It was also hard to put into 1st/reverse, and would usually only ever go in after holding pressure on the gear shift for a few seconds. And even still, sometimes it was really hard to push into gear. Reverse would almost always grind.
THEN.... the past few days here in Vancouver we got over 18" of snow which made my back alley impossible to get out of (especially with 33" BFG M/Ts). Anyway... While attempting to back out I got myself right stuck, almost sliding into a fence. During my attempts to get out, my clutch got even worse, and was barely grabbing at 2" from the floor!! 1st and reverse then started to grind while I had the clutch fully pressed in. I managed to free myself enough to pull back into the same spot where it was parked. But the clutch now almost goes right to the floor before I can feel it grab.
Could this be a combination of my Pilot bearing/Pressure Plate? I think it's still the original clutch... (1995 XLT 4.0 4x4) 275,000.

I have tools but have never attempted clutch work, let alone remove a transmission. I feel much better about having a shop fix it. My local 4x4 shop is back open on Monday, so I'm going to wait until then to get it towed there in hopes that maybe some of the snow will be melted away by then and I can either limp my truck up the alley or have a tow truck come down and pull it out.

Any ideas what it might be?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
could be either a worn clutch disc or a problem with the hydraulic system.

either way, if its the original clutch at that many miles, i would replace everything clutch related as your far overdue. a new clutch disk and pressure plate, reman or machined flywheel surface, new throw out bearing, new pilot bearing, new slave cylinder, and new master cylinder.

Danyokim77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah your probably right. Might as well replace everything as it's long overdue. Thanks for your input !! Any ideas what this might run me?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
around $300 in parts. a lot more than that in labor if you have a shop do the work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals