• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Diesel Ranger

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 89 ranger with a 2.9L engine in it and i was looking for some more horsepower for it along with better fuel millage. I am considering a cummins 4bt turbo diesel engine along with the drive train out of a 1 ton dodge pickup to help handle the power. I just need some input so i can flesh this idea out. Any help will be appreciated.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the cummins 4BT only makes 105 HP, which is about 35 HP less than your 2.9. the cummins does have considerably more torque, but if your looking to go fast, the 4BT isnt what you want.

if you wanted a great little tow rig on the other hand....

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there was a article in a diesel mag that someone was getting 405 hp out of the little engine reliably and getting about 29 mpg with it it a first gen bronco with 35s. i was looking at it for the space saved in the engine compartment along with torque. i like to crawl and the most i do off road with it now it 50 in high range and the 4bt would easily handle that.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not to concerned about the weight because its going to be a bigger pig than it is now (scaling in at 4500 pounds) but the weight would be the same with a 302 but would gain mpg and reliability, plus would have a lot more low end for crawling. i am looking into 38" tires to go on this rig and could use the power. i agree on the hp would rather tune for torque cause its diesel anyway. one other advantage is that all the accessories but the alternator are mounted to the timing cover with the option of up to a 38 gpm hydraulic pump and a air compressor.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the 4BT weighs about 700lbs dressed...thats a few hundred more than a typical small block.

itd be a great engine for turning large tires. but 38's dont exactly lend themselves to fuel economy :D

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
true true but nether does a 7000 lb ranger. was looking for good torque and milage for a heavy truck. i am expecting this little ranger to weigh as much as my dad quad cap f350. also it will be easier to register in cali as a diesel than a small block because of all of the smog crap that i will have to add and change to the truck. with a diesel i get around that part. still have to go through a referee to get it to pass but without the comp to worry about.

ckblum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Wow that weighs almost twice as much as my old 87 ex cab 4x4. Who makes that Ranger?

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
Theres some videos on youtube where a guy swapped a 4bt into a B2 and it seemedto work decent. You can still go fast with a cummins, after swapping a 6bt into a F350, I soon realized that 4.10s an a cummins don't work well together. Im swapping to 3.55s and my truck has stock tires that are like
32" high. So if you plan on running 35s Id have to say that 4.10s with a 4bt would be good for your ranger. It will be slow for a few seconds when you go to pull out but after it builds some boost it should take off. But thats just my opinion.

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nobody but with the 1 ton drive train and the bigger tires it would be about that heavy.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if thats all your doing, your not going to get anywhere near 7,000lbs.

an f-350 super duty 4x4, long bed, crew cab weighs in at around 6,500 and its a whole lot more truck than your ranger.

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my truck weighs 4500 now without all of my trail gear, just my highlift and a chain. it has no lift and only 33" tires. By the time i add the engine with the cast iron trans and trasfercase (np205) out of a dodge 1 ton along with the dana 60 from a f350 and the 70 from the dodge the weight gain will be tremendous.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your truck weighs 4500 pounds now i recomend putting it on a diet!!!!!:D

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, my truck weighs in at 3540lbs with me and half tank of gas... its a 4x4, too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals