• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Quick Questions About FM146

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Okay, I got 2 quick questions about the Mitsubishi FM146 trans.
1. I was trying to get the fill plug out of the transmission the other day and it was locked in there. I used a 3/8" ratchet, then a 1/2" breaker bar. Neither worked sadly, I only ended up stripping out the socket and beginning to strip the bolt head. I am just going to use a left handed center drill to bore it out. Thing is before I do that, I am wondering if anyone knows what the pitch and length of the bolt is so I can get a one from my work and replace it.
This is also a great time to use anti-seize on the threads.

2. I keep hearing different things about the fluid it uses. Everyone I talk to(that is not on this board) says ATF(the auto teacher I bought the truck from, whom used to own an engine shop to the mechanic that my dad and I sometimes use for work). But some people on here are saying gear oil. Please debate amongst yourselves to determine what fluid it uses.

Thanks
Nick

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
FM 146 uses GEAR OIL.... not AFT
The Mazda M5OD R1 is the only Ranger standard transmission that uses AFT

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
stamped sheetmetal pan= 80w-90 gl-4 alum. pan or no pan=atf

weld a big nut to the fill bolt or grind flats on two sides so you can use a big cresent wrench i did both on the fm-146's i was blessed with (NOT!)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals