• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

knock or tick

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wen the truck is idling there is a slight knocking noise i notice in the cab wit the radio off. its symilar to that of a diesel benz but not that loud.. shudd i be concerned? the truck has 40,000, i do regular oil changes with synthetic... cud it maybe be an exhaust manifold leak/crack?

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
come on no one has herd of this? it sounds like a sewing machine.. i just wanna know if i shudd be concerned

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Be concerned.

Any new or odd noises should be checked into.

Is this the Ranger listed in your information? A 2007 stands a fair chance of maybe getting the dealership to at least give it a listen. Also any TSB's might be useful if this is a known problem. (I know most are 3/36 for the maker covering any problem, but if this just hit the 40k mark? Some will still check into things considering it's still 'new')

S-

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea i have warrenty till 60k i just hate going to ford dealers they lagg so bad. just wanted to see if anyone elses duratec motor sounded like mine

wally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98' 2.5 with the same sound. I've been told by many that it's possibly a sticky lifter. My motor has 145k on it though.

thewash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Automatic
Just a thought my 99 ranger was doing the same thing at about 80,000 miles. I found that if I filled it with unleaded it made that noise you described. When I filled it with the highest Supreme unleaded fuel it went away. When I changed back to Unleaded when gas was at $4.00 a gallon the noise came back. This may not work for you but it did for me and I wont cost you much. I recomend doing the swap on an almost empty tank to be sure the high octane has an effect faster.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
huh i see, cud be detonation cause of low quality fuel.. i have been told thats its just the engine finaly breaking in

snakebit95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a brand new 09 that has about 1200 miles on it. It has a faint "dieseling" sound at idle. Did it the day I took ownership of it. Thought it was normal. The sound has not changed any since I brought it home either........so I am not too worried about it. Truck runs GREAT!! Can't get use to not stopping at every gas station either like I did with my 96 F150.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok cool good to know its normal.. thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals