• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow Rig E4OD Busted

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Go to leave the house monday morning, give it gas to pull out of driveway to blast the plowed in snow from the road and get a klunk and now the f250 has no forward gears, but reverse works like a champ.

So i Tore the trans out last nite and find this

you can see all the debris in the drum and the pan was full of it as well.

Forward Planetary Gear Set

Man i am used to pulling M5ORD's and A4LD's. This trans is huge in comparision. And it sucks, the hump ion the trans pan is off set so i cannot balance it on a floor jack like i can the A4LD. Oh well, i am picking up a used E4OD from a friend with 40K on it tomorrow evening, hope to have the F250 back on the road for the weekend as i am using it as my DD.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Seen that failure before. Is that an aluminum planetary ?? The 4R100 have a steel planet that drops in. Much stronger. Have seen the aluminum's strip out the splines to the output shaft too.

Oh, check the cooler flow. It feeds the lube circuit to the rear gear train and if it's plugged, you'll get that failure too.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Seen that failure before. Is that an aluminum planetary ?? The 4R100 have a steel planet that drops in. Much stronger. Have seen the aluminum's strip out the splines to the output shaft too.

Oh, check the cooler flow. It feeds the lube circuit to the rear gear train and if it's plugged, you'll get that failure too.
The drum and gear set seemed awfully dry of fluid, the level was full on the stick....i think when i install that replacement i am going to add a larger tranny cooler and an in-line filter. It has an aftermarket cooler but its not very large.

The damage was only to that planetary set (yes aluminum), i'm gonna leave it sitting under my workbench at work and over the next few months do a bunch of the upgrades i have read about. All the clutches were good and everything else looked good, supposedly the trans was rebuilt 6 months ago. Theris alot of TSB's on this trans for upgrades and modifications to make it better.

4R100? More info please......

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the E40d turned into the 4r100 and the 4r100 turned into the torqueshift. all have interchangable parts. I'd definilty flush the living hell out of the cooler lines both forwads and backwards. if possible replace the cooler all together, if you dont you'll DEFINITLY get another failure circulating debris and siht through the other trans. At the dealership we had a pump machine with fl1a's on it to filter the fluid.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
what would be considered normal temp while towing 6-7K pounds??

Also the trans i got has a "Qaulity Ford Renewal" sticker/badge on the bell housing. I assume that means its a reman'd unit directly from Ford.......if that's the case, do you think Ford did any of the "extras" to it to make it stronger then the oe version?

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Any reman units made from ford exterior or from RMP remanucaturing would have all the updates that are available at the time of assembly. Any tsb or update parts would have been added. It also may have just been rebuilt at a dealer i know they used to epoxy those tags on when there was a failure and the tech rebuilt it under the cost cap

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i was told it had 40K on the rebuild......

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
does it have a production date on the stamping or a serial number? if you get it i can tell you exactly what you got there by running it in reverse through the RMP catalogue. At the very least it will give yoou a more accurate idea of how old the 40k are. or how long it took to get 40k on it. so post it up if you got time a pic of the tag would be cool if you rreally wana know what you got there

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i'll have to take a peak tonite when i get home

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
its in, stalls in reverse though

heres the numbers

F2TZ7ooo ERM
R 990730

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
gimmy till monday to get back to work and run the tag for you. atleast you'll know where you stand.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The drum and gear set seemed awfully dry of fluid, the level was full on the stick....i think when i install that replacement i am going to add a larger tranny cooler and an in-line filter. It has an aftermarket cooler but its not very large.

The damage was only to that planetary set (yes aluminum), i'm gonna leave it sitting under my workbench at work and over the next few months do a bunch of the upgrades i have read about. All the clutches were good and everything else looked good, supposedly the trans was rebuilt 6 months ago. Theris alot of TSB's on this trans for upgrades and modifications to make it better.

4R100? More info please......
Yes, it does look very dry. As was said, make DAMN sure the cooler does flow. The worst part is that it may flow cold but once the ATF and coolant in the rad heat up, it may choke off the flow. Seen that as well. If in ANY doubt, replace the in rad cooler as well as any external cooler.

If you are rebuilding it yourself, get a shift improvement kit ( note I did not say SHIFT KIT ) . I like Trans-go kits myself.

http://www.transgo.com/rpg_ford.php

4R100HD2 TUGGER is easy to install and works very well.

As for the 4R100, look for parts from a 7.3 diesel. The planets are 6 pin steel instead of 4 pin aluminum , the direct clutch has 5 friction clutch instead of the stock 4 friction. Some of the thrust washers were replaced with Torrington bearings. And ditch the stock converter. Get a aftermarket one with duel lockup clutch disc or heavy duty carbon fibre clutch. Stock has a very weak single disc and tends to bend and distort then fail.

Something like these

http://www.dirtydogperformance.com/converters/ford/4r100/-e40d/cat_5.html

I've never used this company but you get the idea. The tranny parts shop you deal with will know what to get--- or should know !!

Good luck and feel free to contact me for more if you need to.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Okay so i dropped the pan, filter was up in the pump good and tight. I pulled the filter out, plugged one end of it and blew air in the other and it was leaking air out the side of the filter. So i warrantied the filter. Reinstall and install a homemade clip. Fill with fluid. Now it no longer stalls in reverse.

With extrememly light throttle from stop to 60mph the shifts are extremely smooth (almost do not even feel them). With heavy throttle the it seems to hold the gear then kinda pop into the next gear kinda firm.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
now the wifes 93 A4LD has started to intermitently slip in 1st gear only....drives great any other gears.

no check engine and no codes as well as fluid is always nice and pink.

And now the starter is going on the F250 and they deff do not give those things awya thats for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals