• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

10" drum brake upgrade

michowski

Reaction score
Ive decided I wanted a little more braking out of my truck and wanted to upgrade from 9 to 10 inch drum brakes. What all do I need to do the swap? Right now im looking at getting.....

two 10" drums
self adjusting kit for both sides
10" shoes
two wheel cylinders
drum brake bar

Is there anything else I need? Will all that bolt onto my 7.5 axle?

michowski

Reaction score
I just got a complete 10" drum brake for the rear. Its got the cylinders, drums, shoes. Its complete. Is it as easy as removing my drums, taking off the 4 bolts holding the backplate on, put the new one on with the bigger shoes and bolt it all together?

michowski

Reaction score
Also will my parking brake cable work on the bigger drums?

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Upgrading to 10"

Hello,

One thing that you didn't mention is removing the axles to get the backing plate off; this is somewhat time consuming as the the diff has to be opened to pop the "C" clips, then slide out the axles, then you are where you take off the backing plates.

gaz:icon_pepsi:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
What he said, and you minds well check the axle bearings while you have the axleshafts slid all the way out.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And the bearing surface on the axle shafts too!
None of my Rangers have 9" brakes anymore. This is also a good time to add a posi or locker.

michowski

Reaction score
im gonna pass then. Im gonna put a 8.8 on my truck early summer, gears, locker, these brakes. I figured for now if it was easy enough I would just put them on my 7.5 so they wouldnt get dusty.

michowski

Reaction score
Well I ended up getting a sportbike not long after posting this thread so I really had no reason to switch drums on my truck since I only drove it in winter. Now im doing the 4 wheeling thing with my brother and its got a trailer and it would be nice to have the 10" drum brakes on there now. My theory is you can never have enough brakes.

Anyway I got the rear axle on stands, I got the shoes and all the hardware off. I got the diff cover off and let the fluid drain out. Now its just the backplates attached to the shafts. My question is what do I do now on my 7.5 axle to get the shafts out? I read the tech library but didnt find any answers. I dont want to start taking bolts out around the ring gear or anything cuz im scared of meshing with the mesh. Just need to get the shafts out so I can get the new drums on there.

Last edited:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
there is one bolt on the carrier that holds a solid shaft right in between the 2 axles.. you take that bolt out and then slide the shaft as far as it will go and push the axle inward and then take a magnet and take the C-clips out.

michowski

Reaction score
Got it, thanks. Now I just gotta figure out the easiest way to get those bolts off to get the backplate off. Most likely there gonna snap but thats a project for tomorrow when theres daylight. Also I got a variety of snap rings in this kit I bought a long time ago. Worth putting the snap rings on vs the c clip? If so should i put enough snap rings on to equal the width of the c clip or is all that slack ok? Id think not but better ask now before I get to that stage.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
the slack is normal. put what you take out back in. snap rings WILL ruin the axles

michowski

Reaction score
I put it back together stock. Im not doing any crazy offroading or anything, mostly work transit and weekend towing with 4 wheelers. I did finish this but I am having one issue. My parking brake does not work. When I engage em they work as normal, but they dont release. I had to take the drum off and manually pry the lever on the pad back to normal position. To try and remedy this I took it all apart again, I made sure its 100% free moving. Its all lubed up and cleaned and should be fine. Put it back together and they dont disengage. Mechanically from inside the shoes its all free and 100% right. Is this a common problem putting the 10" brakes on the 7.5 axle?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals