• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slave Replacement... Again!

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I changed out my slave cylinder about a year ago because it was leaking. i also changed the clutch at the same time.

Now its leaking again!

anyone know why i would have such a short failure? (other than they are made of plastic and a POS)

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I changed out my slave cylinder about a year ago because it was leaking. i also changed the clutch at the same time.

Now its leaking again!

anyone know why i would have such a short failure? (other than they are made of plastic and a POS)
Thats why!

How bad is it leaking?

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i filled up my master over a week ago, and i lost all pedal yesterday. i filled it up again and its back to normal. (i know you should bleed it out, but its working fine.)

that was the 2nd time i had to fill it since i changed it a year ago.

i guess i have to pickup a another slave for $100 and drop the trans. i'm not going to change the clutch this time.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Have you verified that it's the slave that's leaking? Is it coming out of the Bellhousing?

I have a a line leak and a master leak before.

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
yes, there is not fluid around the master at all. i checked out the inspection plug and found fluid in the bellhouseing, not pool but noticeable.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah, definitely a slave...

Did you get a warranty on the new one?

I have had one go out in a week or so before, took it back to Checker for a free replacement.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Did you flush out the master cyl & clutch line when you replaced the 1st slave that was leaking?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
at least yours is only leaking.

i had a year-old slave cylinder blow out on me once. came up to a stop sign with the clutch in then suddenly "pow!", truck lerched and took off like i had side-stepped the pedal.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
haha, that sounds like a fun way to find a bad one. Mine went out on the freeway in my 3.0 on the way to the river (5 hr trip) was allready half way there so i drove it. when we left i towed a see-doo behind it. turn it off at a stop sigh, put it in gear and crank it to take off. was fun. good old manual tranny never leave you stranded! Although i did end up replacing the starter a few weeks after the slave. lol.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
at least yours is only leaking.

i had a year-old slave cylinder blow out on me once. came up to a stop sign with the clutch in then suddenly "pow!", truck lerched and took off like i had side-stepped the pedal.
DAY-um! :icon_surprised: That's pretty scary from a liability angle! Whom to sue... FoMoCo or clutch mfr... wait, they're both bankrupt!... sorry Mr. Maimed Pedestrian.

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i picked up the new (POS) slave today. i'll change it out sometime over the holidays.

we'll see how long it lasts.

i will try to flush out some of the fluid in the line. however,i don't see it being a problem since there is so much fluid going through it anyways.

thanks for the help.

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i got the slave swapped out. it took me about 1.5days taking my time. i previously replaced my catalytic converter bolts with stainless steel, and new exhaust to manifold bolts from Ford. this helped me out a lot, everything was easy to replace.

i also silicone'd the shift rail plugs in, they were loose and leaking a bit of fluid. my catalytic converter was totally clogged so i broke out all the internals and now have a freer flowing exhaust. i will have to buy a new one when i go in for aircare next. the empty converters act a bit like resonators and "ring" and "ting" a bit.

as for the old slave, it was leaking around the piston seal. same problem as the last one i changed out. i got the new one in and bleed in no time. i just did the gravity bleed method.
- open the reservoir cover
- top up fluid and leave open
- attacked bleeder wrench (i use a offset 8mm closed end) & drain tube
- open valve
- let drain filling reservoir when needed
- wait till no more air bubbles appear and shut off valve
- put top on reservoir
- give pedal a few pumps and repeat procedure until runs clear and have good pedal feel

i have gotten better results with this method, rather than the two person method of pumping the pedal, holding in and draining.

the fluid was clear from the begining, looked new. i drained a good bit through to see if there was any dirt in the system. i couldn't see anything. i'm not sure why the other one failed so early. i hope this one lasts a bit longer than 1.5 years.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Thanks for the details, it builds the global knowledge base.

Still, if someone made a cable (mechanical) clutch conversion for the ol' M5OD, and I had to drop my tranny for any reason, I'd make that conversion!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals