PDA

View Full Version : Rangers with plows

SawyerRanger
12-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Was thinking about this the other day, then I noticed a Ranger in town with a plow on it, so i was just wondering if anyone has attached a plow to their Ranger, or thought about it, and what your opinions are on the 4.0's ability to push snow around.

/discuss

LittleBigFoot
12-22-2008, 10:01 AM
It's the chassis that can't take the abuse.

snake
12-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Yep. These trucks are tough, but a plow beats the hell out of them. Not a good idea unless you are done with using it as a DD...

JohnnyO
12-22-2008, 10:21 AM
It's the chassis that can't take the abuse.
On the '98-up Ford does not recommend using them to plow.
An '84-'97 TTB truck can handle a small plow but I wouldn't use it for anything bigger than a few driveways.

Danger FX4 Ranger
12-22-2008, 10:34 AM
On the '98-up Ford does not recommend using them to plow.
An '84-'97 TTB truck can handle a small plow but I wouldn't use it for anything bigger than a few driveways.

According to the user's manual in my 1990, Ford does not recommend the use of snow plows...........Or using the vehicle as an ambulance :icon_rofl:

marc11
12-22-2008, 10:41 AM
I noticed this yesterday too, someone drive down my road in a Ranger with a plow and it got me thinking. I have a 400 foot driveway, takes me over 2 hours in deep snow with the snowblower, so I was wondering about sticking a plow on the Ranger too, beats the hell out of clearing AROUND IT!

Guess an ATV may be a better option.:dunno:

SawyerRanger
12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Yeah I think the plow makes a Ranger look even more badass and Ford tough, haha, even if I only would do a few driveways to keep it all nice.

So the chassis is the weak point, is that due to a C channel instead of a boxed frame?

ranger_mclaren
12-22-2008, 10:59 AM
theres accually a first gen down the road from here with a plow but is been sittin for at least 2 to 3 yrs in the guys side yard just last year he pulled it out and put it back in his driveway. i completly forgot about it because the grass grew over. its still in decent shape too, but its got flat tires and i'm sure the drivetrain is shot.

Mechanickid
12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
My 88's manual says that plows are optional. They even had a heavy duty suspension option for the front end which included air springs to handle plows.

Jim Oaks
12-22-2008, 11:15 AM
There's (2) Rangers with plows on eBay right now.

Roadkill
12-22-2008, 12:16 PM
They won't really be able to handle a decent plow. I have a plow on my 350 (which was made to handle the stresses btw) and it even can have issues with it. You will wear the springs out REAL fast and the extra weight on the front end will wear all those components faster.

Mind you if you live South of where I do and consider 3" of snow lots then giv 'er. Up here we have a few blazers and 1/4 tons with the sissy little plows on them. They can't move anything. The full size 3/4 or 1 tons are the ones that get things done. Well, those and the backhoes and articulated loaders. LOL

aaron47
12-22-2008, 12:32 PM
i have a snow plow on my 85 ranger,i have no problems.its been on there for about 5 years now.it only had a 2.8 and i had no problems pushing snow.i drove it on the highway with the plow on,no over heating at all ,it does run a little hotter though.THe blade is a six foot .
i plow two or three driveways,the only problem i did find is the added weight on the front,lifts the rear and traction sucks,i had to drive in fwd most of the time ,other than on the highway.but it has a open rear,and a d28 front

blue83ranger
12-22-2008, 12:44 PM
my '83 (the blue one) has a factory snow plow option kit on it, only it doesn't have the actuall plow or the bracket. It has the front air bags in the middle of the front springs and it use to have 2 inch lift blocks in the rear. With a pretty decent sized radiator that i put in my '86. Before the air bags went bad, if i would air them up it would lift the truck up a few inches.

Jim Oaks
12-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I had a friend with a GMC Sonoma that had a plow setup on it. It used some type of plastic blade (I don't know, it was clear) and had a battery on the plow frame that worked a ram that applied force down on the plow so it would get down in the snow. The plow was to light to dig down on its own.

Worked really well. He made enough money plowing snow with it to pay for the truck.

marc11
12-22-2008, 01:51 PM
I had a friend with a GMC Sonoma that had a plow setup on it. It used some type of plastic blade (I don't know, it was clear) and had a battery on the plow frame that worked a ram that applied force down on the plow so it would get down in the snow. The plow was to light to dig down on its own.

Worked really well. He made enough money plowing snow with it to pay for the truck.

Sounds like the "Sno-Way" polycarbonate blade with the downforce set up. They make them for compact trucks, been trying to get some prices.

Jimmeh
12-22-2008, 01:54 PM
I had a plow on mine last winter:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/MC_Alton/P2272287.jpg

SawyerRanger
12-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Damn, how much did that one set you back Jimmy? :icon_thumby:

I wouldn't mind a small plow that I could do a few driveways with, but they can be pricey and I don't feel like ruining my front end just yet.

Original_Ranger84
12-22-2008, 05:00 PM
I just use an ATV with a plow to plow our driveway and iit can push a fairly large amount of snow like 1.5ft of powderish snow, and like a foot of sort of heavy snow. Its a Grizzly 660 with I think a 2500lb warn winch to lift and lower the plow. Works fine with a 500 foot driveway.

WNY964x4
12-22-2008, 05:27 PM
we use a 00 F-150 7700 , we have a 7'6" Western on it , i have seen a few rangers with plows , i know that wester makes a 6'8" one that fits a ranger , and fisher has a 6'6'' plow , they are both good plows , the ranger works good for home use , but i would recommend a 150 or 250 for anything , ours does fine , we plow our apartments , storage , car lot , and several driveways no problem , though i did know a guy that put a 7' blizzard plow on a 95 Ranger , the backend looked like it was about to lift off the ground

Jimmeh
12-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Damn, how much did that one set you back Jimmy? :icon_thumby:

I wouldn't mind a small plow that I could do a few driveways with, but they can be pricey and I don't feel like ruining my front end just yet.

It was expensive.

Ended up hiring a guy to come plow the driveway....LOL!

rangerbum
12-22-2008, 09:18 PM
I saw a guy with what looked like a clone of my 97 with a plow. But I took a closer look, it had a ford 9" rear, SAS I couldnt Identify, air bags in front and rear springs, 33's, chains, and a whole lot of other goodies. It looked BEAST!!! Me and Kiera pulled up next to him, and I had my window down just a bit because we were just at the bank, and he rolled his down and yelled "I really like your truck!" He was a big haggard looking redneck, like my grandpa.

A member here possibly?

Kiera keeps falling more and more in love with my truck seeing how capable it is for a 2 wheel drive.

Jspafford
12-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Meyer makes a plow small enough to fit the B2. It says right on their site.

aaron47
12-22-2008, 09:44 PM
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1200&stc=1&d=1230000133

aaron47
12-22-2008, 09:49 PM
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1201&stc=1&d=1230000564

Jimmeh
12-22-2008, 11:00 PM
I saw a guy with what looked like a clone of my 97 with a plow. But I took a closer look, it had a ford 9" rear, SAS I couldnt Identify, air bags in front and rear springs, 33's, chains, and a whole lot of other goodies. It looked BEAST!!! Me and Kiera pulled up next to him, and I had my window down just a bit because we were just at the bank, and he rolled his down and yelled "I really like your truck!" He was a big haggard looking redneck, like my grandpa.

A member here possibly?

Kiera keeps falling more and more in love with my truck seeing how capable it is for a 2 wheel drive.

In a couple of weeks, I'll have my posi-lock for the beast, and may go and try to get stuck with a buddy and his ragged beater F150. If you wanna ride along, you're more then willing to come.

And also, I found a Ranger in Whitefish on 2nd ave, I believe, that looked to be SAS'd and stuff. Was gonna put a card on his windshield, but was in the Dodge, so I didn't have any with me.

baddis
12-23-2008, 12:13 AM
3 years ago i put a 7 1/2 ft meyers on an explorer sport with a 4.0 and a 5 speed and the guy loves it. it needs axle joints but it needed them when the plow went on. it also needs stiffer front springs.

85_Ranger4x4
12-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Yeah I think the plow makes a Ranger look even more badass and Ford tough, haha, even if I only would do a few driveways to keep it all nice.

So the chassis is the weak point, is that due to a C channel instead of a boxed frame?

No, it is just a light duty truck. Every Ford truck prior to 2004 and current 3/4 ton, 1 tons and semi tractors all have mostly C-channel frames... and they are heavier than anything they put in a Ranger.

I don't care if it is a one ton or a Courier, I wouldn't put a plow on a truck I care about.

They have a picture of a truck with a plow on it in my '85 sales brochure, my parts truck had the bladders in the front springs (but they were shot).

Jspafford
12-23-2008, 12:55 AM
I just had a new meyer plow installed on our work truck.. The old one was stolen. It cost $4200 and the plow weights over 1K. The truck is a 2500HD silverado, and believe me you can feel it on there. It is only a 7.5' model, the hydraulic pump is a lot of the weight. It makes the truck overheat if not angled properly.

And this is on a 2005 model truck equipped to do this job.

CopyKat
12-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Will has a plow on his B2.:icon_thumby:

ghost_rader
12-23-2008, 01:48 PM
i had a myers 6'6" on my 83. it was a aftermarket bolt on(bolted behind the bumper and was perminant.
and i also had a Myers uni-mount on my 86, it was for a dakota origionally but i made mouonts for my custom bumper and it was on. it was a 6'6" also. and it worked real nice.
here's a pic with the lower frame(summer driving)only the pump comes off seperate from the plow.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/222/1541/25553270006_large.jpg

Will
12-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Will has a plow on his B2.:icon_thumby:

Sure do. These trucks are tough enough in the frame. I use mine to do the church parking lot which is 1/3 acre asphault lot. I also do a number of driveways--mine is 500', two neighbors are 800' each and another is 500' and they are all on steep hills--and I did a friends rental cabin but he stopped renting it in the winter because his customers were having trouble back in there. The B2 is great for those because of it's manueverability. With the heavy Warn hubs on the D35 it hasn't had any axle troubles. You do need to bag the coils because the 500# plow sends the nose into the dirt. The B2 has no trouble with the rear weight like a Ranger would. The only trouble I have is the aluminum wheel on the driver's side working loose. There's a lot of force in there that makes it squirm around. A steel wheel would be much better.

And a plastic snow blade would last me a few minutes at best. Gravel is pretty hard on things. Gravel drives are not flat and catching an edge in a mound would end it's season.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1206&stc=1&d=1230060218

rboyer
12-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I know someone is going to laugh at me for this one but it works. I use a 185cc Kawasaki Bayou to plow snow. I had this plow setup laying around from an ATV which I parted out and one day I fabricated a bracket to put it on the Bayou. I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a cheap chinese 2000lb winch for $50 and slapped it on there to lift the plow with. Believe it or not the thing actually works great for clearing the driveway and sidewalks. The thing was so lightweight that when I first installed the plow it wanted to sag almost completely to the ground. I sliced off the upper shock mounts, jacked it up in the air a little and then welded them on there 1.5 inches lower than where they were creating myself a poor man's lift kit! Honestly you don't even need a 4x4 ATV for plowing, just having a set of chains in the rear is enough to get the job done.

Explorin94
12-23-2008, 04:04 PM
I have an Arctic Poly plow for the front of my 88 Ranger. I am putting a solid axle under it with leafs. Should be enough to handle the weight of the plow and little abuse that I will put it through.

CopyKat
12-23-2008, 06:45 PM
I don't need a plow to do my yard. I've got a 6' single screw blower that gets the job done. It takes me almost 3H to do the whole yard depending on how much snow we get.

When it gets this deep it takes alot longer.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1207&stc=1&d=1230075844

WNY964x4
12-23-2008, 08:03 PM
I just had a new meyer plow installed on our work truck.. The old one was stolen. It cost $4200 and the plow weights over 1K. The truck is a 2500HD silverado, and believe me you can feel it on there. It is only a 7.5' model, the hydraulic pump is a lot of the weight. It makes the truck overheat if not angled properly.

And this is on a 2005 model truck equipped to do this job.

how is it that a 7'6'' meyers plow weighs over 1000 pounds , we have a 7'6'' western , that is 12 years old , and it weighs about 700 , and western is a tougher built plow , and how is it that your truck overheats if the plow is not angled right , we plow with an f-150 , and it never overheats

Will
12-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Honestly you don't even need a 4x4 ATV for plowing, just having a set of chains in the rear is enough to get the job done.

Depends. My neighbor has a 4x4 ATV with a plow and he's out there for hours if there is very much snow. I've pushed 17" with my B2--just get it going and it throws a huge wave of snow off the edge of the blase.

My garden tractor has 23x10.5x12 wheels with 50# weights AND the rear tires are filled with anti-freeze--about 65# of anti-freeze is in each tire. The blade for it, with all the mounts weighs 130#. So its 1,100# without a rider--much more than an ATV. And I chain it. It pushes snow fine but you can't steer. If the snow is wet or very deep it pushes the front of the tractor to the side and you soon find yourself off the driveway and into the yard. On my hill, an ATV won't even go up it with the blade down. Most years, we don't get that. But the years it comes down on us that thing sux. I put a blade on my Bobcat this year. I was using the bucket since I gave up on the garden tractor but decided a blade would be much better.

WNY964x4
12-23-2008, 10:02 PM
righ now , where i live in western new york , we got like 2 foot in the past 3 days , we are praying that it stops because the piles of snow at our storage , apartments and house are taller than the cab of our truck , we are running out of places to put the snow , our plow will ride up the bank , but only so far , so far in the past 2 days , we lost one pin that holds the plow to the frame , and then today we broke the pivot bolt , this is taking quite the toll on the truck and plow

Will
12-24-2008, 07:25 AM
That's one place a loader works well.

Jspafford
12-24-2008, 08:11 AM
http://www.meyerproducts.com/products/details.asp?EquipmentID=20

racsan
12-24-2008, 12:27 PM
i would never put a plow on a ranger, maybe a bronco II that would only be used for plow duty. i prefer a 3/4 ton truck to plow with. our '77 F250 was a real plowing beast, with a 400, C6, 4.10's and full-time 4wd .it could handle most nything put in front of it. we had a old western plow on it, the kind with the "T" handle control. up until this truck i would never have wanted a automatic in a truck. now, i wouldnt want a plow truck with a std trans. (but otherwise i do still prefer stick) our current farm truck is a '94 F250 with the 351, 3.55's and E4OD. not near the machine the '77 was, does get a bit better on fuel in the summer months, this truck has lockout hubs and a manual transfer case. a plow on the big bronco would help with manuerverbility, but id hate to put that 1/2 ton chassis to that kind of abuse. its hardly a "beater " truck. the '94 F250: http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/racsan_2006/davesfile010.jpg

wahlstrom1
12-24-2008, 12:35 PM
If a guy at our shop hadn't just bought a Skidsteer, I was gonna build a rear mount plow for my ranger. I'd link it to the outside of my hitch frame, then use my rear winch to lift it up and down. Then I could back up to our shop doors and dumpsters and keep the yard a lil cleaner.

-andrew

almostclueless
12-24-2008, 01:21 PM
I've seen them on one or two jeeps.....some folks just wanna ice skate uphill....

Defective
12-24-2008, 02:31 PM
We had a western 7'6" on a older jeep cj-7. It plowed alright but it was pretty light. manuverability was the huge bonus. If that thing's tiny frame and springs could handle a plow, an RBV can.

I hope to find a good deal on a beater 2dr explorer to mount a plow to, or resurrect the old scout my dad was going to put a plow on.

Right now we have a 1983 flat bed f-150 with a 300/6 and manual trans with what I think is a Costco Snow Wolf plow. It's winch operated up and down with hand lever for angle. It's lightweight, but it's still steel. I was suprised to see how well I could stack snow with this silly setup. I can't be ramming chit or half hazardly plowing ditches, but i've got stacks taller than the truck and I pushed it far enough into the yard to make room for the rest of the year.

grey ghost
12-24-2008, 02:38 PM
We had a western 7'6" on a older jeep cj-7. It plowed alright but it was pretty light. manuverability was the huge bonus. If that thing's tiny frame and springs could handle a plow, an RBV can.

I hope to find a good deal on a beater 2dr explorer to mount a plow to, or resurrect the old scout my dad was going to put a plow on.

Right now we have a 1983 flat bed f-150 with a 300/6 and manual trans with what I think is a Costco Snow Wolf plow. It's winch operated up and down with hand lever for angle. It's lightweight, but it's still steel. I was suprised to see how well I could stack snow with this silly setup. I can't be ramming chit or half hazardly plowing ditches, but i've got stacks taller than the truck and I pushed it far enough into the yard to make room for the rest of the year.

my cousin has that same"snowbear" type plow on a dakota and it does verry well. just not the best if you have to change the angle of the plow alot

CRAZ28
12-24-2008, 02:49 PM
We plow snow with a 1940's Farmall Super C, all 30 hp of it. lol that always gets the job done and it moves 1000 lb. round bales.
http://www.upfronthorses.com/IHSuperC.jpg

lil red
12-24-2008, 02:49 PM
im thinking of keeping my 88 when i finnish the 85, that myers is lookin oftly purdy

OilPatch197
12-24-2008, 05:10 PM
So were these snow plows installed at the Ford factory, or is it a dealer installed product?

Is there any other differences between a "regular" ranger and a "heavy duty snow plowing" Ranger?

lil red
12-24-2008, 05:55 PM
airbags in the front springs, thats about it probably

WNY964x4
01-04-2009, 11:09 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/racsan_2006/davesfile010.jpg

that is quite a new setup for an old plow truck like that , is that an 8' Ultramount Pro Plow

racsan
01-04-2009, 11:20 PM
yep, sure is, when dad replaced the '77 with this he found that plow on ebay, went to indiana to pick it up. i havent plowed with it yet, i did get alot of seat time in the '77. it had a older western with the "T" handle cable control. this is one beefy plow! dad has to put ballast in the bed to offset the plow weight when using it. that pickup had never had a plow on it before. we also put one of those "shock-load" hitches you see on farm pickups. odd thing is, this 351 equipped truck seems to have more tourque than the '96 bronco we also have, both have 3.55's with the E4OD. you would think they would be the same . (as far as seat-of-the-pants feel)