• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

t2 torsen

ford ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hi i have a 2007 xlt 4x4 8.8 3.73. open diff my ? is do they make a torsen that would fit my rear end and would i have to bye new bearings i think its 28 spline i like the fact no clutches to ware out t2 pretty much life time thanks i tried usen search on this but didnt see anything

Last edited:

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi,

I'm no expert by any means but I think we had the same idea at the same time... I was looking for info on torsens and found this...

http://www.torsen.com/files/Torsen%20Application%20Chart.pdf

Dunno how $$ they are, though...

Hope someone else elaborates on this topic, specially how good torsens perform against the other lockers available.

JG

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure about the aftermarket, but another option may be to find a FX4 Level II at the salvage yard. They came with the Torsens in them. You don't see them very often, just something to keep an eye out for. You might get lucky.

jimd1050

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.2L Gasoline
Transmission
Automatic
Salvage Yards!

I'm not sure about the aftermarket, but another option may be to find a FX4 Level II at the salvage yard. They came with the Torsens in them. You don't see them very often, just something to keep an eye out for. You might get lucky.
Gotta watch those salvage yards! I've been looking to upgrade from 3.73 Open Diff to 4.10 limited slip. On Monday, my repair shop called and said they had found a 2007 FX4 with 4.10 Limited slip and 7000 miles on it, totaled! We got the front diff and entire rearend for $1700! Thankfully, I was at the shop when the delivery truck arrived yesterday. The front diff came off the truck looking newer than my own and was 4.10. However, the rearend looked not quite as clean and after examining the tag (Thanks to TRS' Axle Tech Sheet), turned out to be an old Limited Slip 7.5 rear axle (obviously not from an FX4) with 3.73's. Needless to say, it went back on the truck.

We couldn't find another low mileage FX4 rear so we ordered all the new parts to upgrade my rear axle to limited slip 4.10s and a Ford Racing Axle Girdle rear cover. It's going in on Monday to have the FX4 front diff installed, the rear diff upgraded to 4.10 and LS and add my Skyjacker 4" Softride leafs. Watch those used parts... ya' never know!

ford ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hmm good find hmm i thought front and rear are always geared the same cause if not could cause damage

jimd1050

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.2L Gasoline
Transmission
Automatic
hmm good find hmm i thought front and rear are always geared the same cause if not could cause damage
You're right... the rear obviously wasn't from the same truck that the front came out of! It was an old 7.5" Rear axle with much more than 7000 miles on it... that was my point! I am now installing the 4.10 FX4 Front Diff (7000 mile salvage yard unit) and updating my own Rear Diff to 4.10 and LS to match the front.

ford ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
i know about trien to find a fx level 2 they came with torsen but my ? is do they make a after maket torsen to fit my open diff 8.8 3.73
hi i have a 2007 xlt 4x4 8.8 3.73. open diff my ? is do they make a torsen that would fit my rear end open carreier and would i have to bye new bearings i think its 28 spline i like the fact no clutches to ware out t2 pretty much life time thanks i tried usen search on this but didnt see anything

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
i know about trien to find a fx level 2 they came with torsen but my ? is do they make a after maket torsen to fit my open carrier 8.8 3.73
No, an LS unit is a completely new carrier, its costs lots of $$$ to buy and have installed. What is your goal? Do you NEED an LS? I find them useless offroad and there only purpose ont he street is putting power to the ground (which isnt a problem for an RBV anyways), If its for off-road, get a locker, there is just no substitute.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
wow sense my carrier is open or standered axle the torsen wont fit well is there any l/s that fits an open carrier or a traction lock or truetracs if i have two get a whole new axle i might as well for get it
You don't seem to understand how an axle works, your current carrier (NOT the housing) is irrelevant when talking about an LS. An LS, detroit locker, ARB, ect are all brand new carriers that replace the stock open carrier. A "lunchbox locker" uses a stock carrier, but a lunchbox locker isnt an LS, its a locker.

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Quick question about the axle out of the Fx 4 level 2. I read it has the stronger 31 spline axles like the explorer, but does it have the bigger bearings/ heavier weight capacity too?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
ok i used the wrong term let try this again ok let say the open diff thats in my axle lets take it out.your sayen that i cant buy a t2 torsen or a ford traction lock and have that put in my axle
carrier is the housing for the gears
No. You can have any LS installed that is designed for your rearend, just be prepared to cough up some $$$. An LS unit is a brand new carrier, therefore your stock one doesnt matter! The new carrier is placed on the housing and the original ring gear is bolted to the carrier.
Here are some pictures to help you better understand.
This first one is a picture of a carrier with the ring gear attached.

Here is the carrier in the housing.

Here is a new carrier installed (an ARB air locker, same concept as an LS)

Same housing and gears, just a different carrier. I hope this clears things up.

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I would guess around $300-$500 for labor but I really dont know so take that with a grain of salt. I must ask again though, why do you want an LS, what is your goal?

ford ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
my goal really just wont torsen or atraction lock for better traction sense it open in the front and rear its basically a 2 wheel drive when things get slick. really not going to see any off road or anything just got the truck for winter driven but if there was some trail around here i would hit them

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Its not... Setting up gears properly takes trial and error and precise measurements (don't forget the dial indicator, ect), its not really something a novice should attempt on their own the first time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals