• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

blown bearing in block???

dangeranger85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Iv got some blown bearings in the lower block of my engine. the truck still runs and drives but im unsure of how to replace them. im in the start of my project so if this calls for an engine rebuild i have no problem with that, i just would like someone that knows of a good website that could show/tell me how to do this.

:icon_confused:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Iv got some blown bearings in the lower block of my engine. the truck still runs and drives but im unsure of how to replace them. im in the start of my project so if this calls for an engine rebuild i have no problem with that, i just would like someone that knows of a good website that could show/tell me how to do this.

:icon_confused:
IMO, Go to the library and get a book.

To get to the main/rod bearings, you will need to remove the oil pan.

Oil pan removal is highly debated as to weather the engine should be pulled or not. For the amount of effort of getting to the point of actually being able to get the pan off with it inside of the truck, you might as well spend a little extra time just pulling the whole thing. This will insure you have proper area to work and that you can inspect the bottom end much better. Not to mention it's a totally complete PITA to do with the engine in the truck, not to mention dangerous.

Weather your engine is going to need a complete rebuild is an assessment you're going to have to make on your own.

I don't know if this is what you want to hear, but if it were me, for the cost of a rebuild plus the amount of work you're talking about, I'd start looking for a different 2.9L (eg. Junk Yard) that doesn't have signs of coolant in the oil.

Or, as someone might mention, a complete engine swap (4.0), but another 2.9L would be most simplistic and cost effective, granted you can find one that's still running solid.

Pete

Edit:
I forgot to mention, people that I've known to just "replace" bearings without having the crank reconditioned; their engines have usually failed catastrophicly under 10K miles.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals