• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission removal/TC installation

rranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8 2bbl
Transmission
Automatic
Any one here able to tell me how to remove the transmission, then install the torque converter, and reinstall the trans. its an automatic 4speed A4LD on a 1985 ford ranger 2WD V6. Just looking for basic instruction on how to remove it(I have all the tools), I do have the factory book but want more input from the guys here. Im replacing the T.C. its screwed.

Last edited:

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
1. remove inspection plate and starter from the front of the bellhousing, then remove the 4 nuts that hlod the torque converter to the flex plate. you will need to hand crank the engine with a wrench to access all of them

2. drain your trans fluid, this will require dropping the pan, put the pan back on to keep dirt out.

3. remove your drive line

4. remove the two trans cooling lines from the transmission.

5. remove shifter cable from transmission linkage

6. remove all wires and vacuum lines from the transmission (double check this it sucks to get hung up on something on the way out.)

7. remove the 6 bellhousing bolts. these can be difficult to access so you will probably need some extensions and u-joints

8. place a jack under the transmission.

9. remove crossmember.

10. pull the transmission toward the back of the vehicle. you may have to work with jack height a little to get the trans to free up. once the trans is free from the engine you should be able to lower it out of the vehicle.

Note: the exhast may cause a hang up. especially if you dont have a body lift it can be a bit tight. you may want to consider removing your y pipe., or at least unbolting it from you manifolds.

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
Once the trans is out the torque converter will jus slide right of the input shaft. make sure you fill the new one with fulid before installing it. Also this would be a good time to install a new filter when you put your trans back in.

rranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8 2bbl
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you.
I heard you dont have to remove the crossmember if its not a 4x4, is that true?

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
not sure since I have only dealt with the 4x4. but I assume the trans crossmember runs directly under the trans and probably only has one bolt on each side. removing it would only take a couple of minutes. But I could be wrong, Perhaps someone else can shine some light on this. or I could tell you if you posted some pictures.

rranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8 2bbl
Transmission
Automatic
Ya your right the crossmember is easy to remove. how do you seperate the linkage, it has a sealed bearing shaft that comes out of the trans & attaches to linkage with a press fit linkage theres no pins or bolts, so do i pry it apart?

rranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8 2bbl
Transmission
Automatic
I have every thing ready to remove the transmission,
but Im having a hard time understanding how to remove the linkage, from the transmission. There are several pieces of flat metal, that are connected with a ball that is pressed through a hole in the other piece, i cant see how to disconnect them, any suggestions, a crow bar???
In more than a foot of snow any help is greatly appreciated!

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
If i remember correctly on mine, the shift cable end was just a socket that snaps over a ball on the shift linkage. I think it just pops off with a flathead screwdriver. this was on an 89 4wd, so i don't know if yours would be the same.

Hibs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
^ what he said. the linkage just pops right off, use a prybar.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals