• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slipping...and not going!

tivouser08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So yeah...have been driving my 96B4000LE about 5 years now (3rd owner) and am having a small problem. As of late, seems the AOD transmissing is slipping...which reall sucks when I go to pull out into traffic!
Some background..the odometer stopped at 152000..that was in November of 06..soo guessing I am into 210000 miles..3rd owner..and I have not maintained the trans as I should..my fault.
So..I ask you fine folks..what is my cure to this problem? New trans? Rebuild?
I did use the "search" feature..saw nothing like this mentioned. Am guessing I have the 4R55E transmission. It is the 4.0, not 4wd..

Thanks in advance for any..and all help. Oh..and not a repair guy, but willing to learn. Thing is this truck is my only veh and am very dependent on it!

Brett

bmxryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
check your fluid.

i had a problem with my tranny awhile back where it felt like it was slipping and going almost nowhere but it was throwing itself into overdrive. so try hitting the button and see what it does.

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
in my opinion, scrap the automatic and swap in a 5 speed manual. if that isnt your cup of tea, take it to a aamco transmission place, they diagnose for free. i believe they also have a quick turnaround on rebuilding a trans if you go that route. im about at this point with my 3.0 ranger...im goin the 5 speed manual route tho...

tivouser08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Went to AAMCO today....they did the free diagonstic. Nothing specific said as to what was wrong but they want a flat fee of 1825 to work on it, up to and including all parts and labor, their brand of rebuilt transmission, fix rear main seal that is leaking.
Still don't know the best route with this thing or what exactly is wrong as can't know that until they tear into it.
Suggestions/comments? Sorry...not mechanically inclined here, I know my limits!

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
well, too bad your not mechanically inclined. I would be a cheaper route to junkyard crawl and swap one out yourself, but then you wouldn't know the condition of the trans(get lucky senario) second, get a rebuilt trans off ebay, or a used one from a dealer with low miles from a wreked truck. Then you would just have some time,a few bucks, and it would be a simple bolt off, swap, bolt in situation. all you would have to worry about then is a few wires hanging up you dont see right away.

as for the rear main seal, a leaky seal wont hurt anything as far as i know except make amess over the area you usually park at. it wont kill your motor because u usually drive it that way for a loong while before you know for sure that it is what is leaking. however, i dont know a whole lot about the rear main seal unless you are talking about the seal around the oil pan at the rear side of the motor leaking. that seal is a pain to change but can be done in a few hours. (lots of fun...:fie:)

well theres my .02.

firefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I would start with just a simple trans flush

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
the cheapest way about $10 (might work)
throw in some lucas trans stop leak/ conditioner. that plugged up the major leak in my 83's tranny gasket and shifting improved.

if that doesnt work get it rebuilt.

locknar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Engine Size
4 litre
Transmission
Automatic
If you drop the pan, and take a look at what comes out (probably all over you), if there a bits of metal you chipped a tooth, if the fluid and filter is light grey you are looking at a rebuild, if no major problem, replace the filter, gasket and top it up with fresh fluid. For the cost of a gasket and filter, you get a better picture as to what is happening, plus you will change out about 50% of the fluid. Then put in the Lucas.

kossdust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I agree change the fluid and see how it acts.

tivouser08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all..thanks for the replies. I forgot to update this. Did a trans service on it, changed the fluid and filter and added the Lucas. Drives perfectly now, shifts are amazingly smoother. Thanks for the info, all your suggestions were what was done.
Next up...trying to decide a good exhaust to get some better sound out of it..

Thanks!
Brett

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
You should fix the speedo.

tivouser08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Speedo works, Odo ehhh not so much. Same for the trip odo. Was told the dash may have to come out, don't know. Not on the tops of my list to get fixed unless you know a sure fire way. I just run with the milage from my GPS...

tivouser08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for that...that may be over my head, but I saved it and printed it out nonetheless...may take a shot at it...never attempted a repair like that. Would be awesome to find the whi faced guage cluster and just install that..

firefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
if your scared about the task then just take it apart with the knowledge you have about how speedo's work, and if you think it becomes over your head at any point then put it back together, and ask someone with better experience.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals