• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

garrett t3 turbo?

ncsdaonex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylider
Transmission
Manual
it 150 dollars a good deal on a garret t3 turbo, it is used but in good condition. Also, im new to tearing motors apart, if i put forged pistons in my 2.3 do i remove the connecting rods and remove the crankshaft to change pistons?

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
it 150 dollars a good deal on a garret t3 turbo, it is used but in good condition. Also, im new to tearing motors apart, if i put forged pistons in my 2.3 do i remove the connecting rods and remove the crankshaft to change pistons?
Not very knowledged in the world of turbos, but I can tell you the engine specs. You don't have to remove the crankshaft to remove the pistons. The pistons are connected to the connecting rod which are BOLTED to the crankshaft. I believe that you can have access to the carriers from the oilpan side.

But since you are that far in the build anyway, might as well replace the bearings on the crankshaft just to say that you are starting anew.

Thats how it was on my 302 build, so the 2.3 MIGHT be different, but they shouldn't be too different.

ncsdaonex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylider
Transmission
Manual
garrett t3 turbo

Not very knowledged in the world of turbos, but I can tell you the engine specs. You don't have to remove the crankshaft to remove the pistons. The pistons are connected to the connecting rod which are BOLTED to the crankshaft. I believe that you can have access to the carriers from the oilpan side.

But since you are that far in the build anyway, might as well replace the bearings on the crankshaft just to say that you are starting anew.

Thats how it was on my 302 build, so the 2.3 MIGHT be different, but they shouldn't be too different.
i havent actually taken the motor apart internal anyway, i just pulled it out of the truck a week ago, its on the floor in my garage, im just getting all my information a while. but still is 150 dollars a good deal? If any one knows it would be helpful.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
i havent actually taken the motor apart internal anyway, i just pulled it out of the truck a week ago, its on the floor in my garage, im just getting all my information a while. but still is 150 dollars a good deal? If any one knows it would be helpful.
I just zoomed around Ebay and the average bid with about 4 days left is
$80-$100 without shipping, brand new is $500-$700, so I'd say that it's a fair deal. The only things to check for are wear and tear, mileage, average psi usage, etc. And even if the thing seems questionable, they do sell rebuild kits for the turbo, saw those on ebay also for $90.

Also make sure that this is exactly the kind and type of turbo you need. I'm not very knowledged, but ebay turned up quite a few different models.

Good Luck!! I hope you find what you are looking for!!:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
a used T3 in the used market is really cheap.. because their usually crap. now honestly maybe you should be looking into swapping parts off a mustang svo or someother ford that came with the 2.3 turbo. it would be alot easier. as for building the motor.. if your looking for 300HP, your looking at 2 grand.

ncsdaonex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylider
Transmission
Manual
a used T3 in the used market is really cheap.. because their usually crap. now honestly maybe you should be looking into swapping parts off a mustang svo or someother ford that came with the 2.3 turbo. it would be alot easier. as for building the motor.. if your looking for 300HP, your looking at 2 grand.
my friend has this turbo and he said he thinks its off a saab or something but it is a t3, he says it works, now im only looking for 200hp and i will satisfied, i think it will cost me 1500 dollars, i dont want any more than that or the tranny will be blown in a day. so will the turbo alone generate 200hp

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
thats a rape case for that price

and find a turbo swap car so you will have everything to turbo the truck. A turbocoupe that will have everything you need including forged parts will be cheaper than 1500 look on craigslist

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
make sure you check shaft play and such.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Also the for sale forums at www.turboford.net are a good place to find things.

Seriously, take our advice and buy a ford turbo car (thunderbird turbocoupe, merkur, etc). It will have everything including the forged pistons, turbo, turbo exhaust manifold, vane air flow meter, turbo computer, larger fuel injectors and anything else you'll need to do the swap. As for price I bought an entire car with the complete engine for 500 bucks. And that's everything you'll need.

Trying to piece things together, especially from non-ford cars, is going to make everything far more complicated and expensive, in fact you'll probably never finish if you go this route.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals