• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Eliminating Cabin Noise?

motoxchamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I love my ranger 4.0 but I would like a quieter cabin. Is there anything I can do to reduce cabin noise? I especially don't like the wind noise created when I am on the highway. Dynamat will not work in this case but will thicker rubber around the door make a difference? Is there a way to get a better seal on the windows?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You're not going to like the answer, but it's to sell the truck and buy a small luxury car.

Wind noise comes from turbulent regions, which will only be removed by changing the shape of the vehicle. In particular, EVERY pickup truck has a big nasty vortex right behind the cab. It's the flat trailing edge that does that, and it's really hard to make a pickup that doesn't have that.

You also get noise from everything that sticks out from the sides. Like mirrors, trim, window channels, and so on.

As for ENGINE noise, ditch the "performance" parts. Quiet operation is not a performance concern.

For tire noise, a good road tire will quiet it down a lot, but they get kinda expensive. Michelin LTXs aren't bad.

You can try wrapping the inside of the truck with "sound deadener," but it will only go so far.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ventshades for the windows will quiet down windnoise unless you have a really stiff crosswind then they seem to make some of their own. You have to get caught at the right angle to the wind for them to make noise, which at least for me doesn't happen that often.

motoxchamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
You're not going to like the answer, but it's to sell the truck and buy a small luxury car.

Wind noise comes from turbulent regions, which will only be removed by changing the shape of the vehicle. In particular, EVERY pickup truck has a big nasty vortex right behind the cab. It's the flat trailing edge that does that, and it's really hard to make a pickup that doesn't have that.

You also get noise from everything that sticks out from the sides. Like mirrors, trim, window channels, and so on.
I know what you are saying is true but it may not be THE answer. When I am on the highway I have pulled the door in closer (the door had already been properly shut) and that helps to eliminate a fair amount of noise. Further, I have manual doors and when I turn them really hard I can eliminate more noise too. So its not so much the vortex created in the bed or engine noise(engine is stock except chip). Ventshades are a nice suggestion but I find them ugly.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
In that case you might could adjust the door latch strickers in just a little to tighten the doors' fit to the cab. If your weatherstripping is really shot or compressed, new weatherstripping isn't that expensive, nor too hard of a job.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I love my ranger 4.0 but I would like a quieter cabin. Is there anything I can do to reduce cabin noise? I especially don't like the wind noise created when I am on the highway. Dynamat will not work in this case but will thicker rubber around the door make a difference? Is there a way to get a better seal on the windows?
IF yoiu have an older ranger then you'd probably benefit from either new door hinges or rebuilding door hinges.

As the hinges wear the doors sag and you loose tension against
your weather seals, this makes more wind noise than the vehicle was designed to...

What Robby suggests might help, but might not correct ALL of the problem.

I just rebuilt the hinges on my '87 ranger and it's FAR quieter than it's ever been....

But if you really have a problem with "noise" MAKG might be right you
are driving the wrong vehicle, might I suggest a Lincoln-LS?

AD

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
When I am on the highway I have pulled the door in closer (the door had already been properly shut) and that helps to eliminate a fair amount of noise. Further, I have manual doors and when I turn them really hard I can eliminate more noise too. So its not so much the vortex created in the bed or engine noise(engine is stock except chip). Ventshades are a nice suggestion but I find them ugly.
this is one of the main concerns in a body shop when putting doors back on a vehicle after paint and bodywork.
robbie d is right in that the doors are probably not fitted correctly.i would check for worn hinges/missing weatherstrip.i guarantee the drivers door hinges have play but the weatherstrippings probably ok.open the door and lift up and down on the door to check play,if its under an inch or so its not to bad.
loosen the hinge bolts on the DOOR(not the body) and slide the door in so it will shut closer to the cab.look at the old bolt marks on the hinge to make sure its where you want it.you might want to put a shim imbetween the bottom hinge and the door to bring the door up if the hinges have sagged.
the body lines should be close between rear of door and cab and the latch should hit the striker square without jumping up or down to latch.then you might want to move the striker in just a little bit.
also if your trucks a beater like mine the upper window frame can bend away from the body as they are flimsy and let wind whistle.i opened the door and tweaked it in slightly at the top.
pickups are pretty noisy but your ranger should be relatively quiet like mine if its sealing air correctly.

Half Nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Dude... just replace your weatherstripping... The rule is if you can close a dollar bill in the door and move it at all, the stripping is cooked.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
NOT necissarily.

If his HINGES are "Cooked" the dollar bill will slide even with new weather stripping.

Ditto for the plastic sleeve on the striker.

AD

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i agree if the hinges are too bad you need to replace or kit them.but most people are too cheap to replace hinges so i have gotten some pretty worn hinges to work on a lot of different cars at the body shop i work at.you can adjust them pretty far especially if you use a die grinder to slot the bolt holes which is why i suggested he just shim it up.its a light door compared to the explorer and if the hinges aren't too bad i'de just shim them.i've also seen some pretty old weatherstripping do just fine on the exotic restorations that come in like old lamborghinis,porsches,etc where you can't get easy to find replacements.if there isen't missing chunks or sections hanging its fine.the outer belt moldings on the doors(the seal the glass slides against,theres a felt one at the top of the door panel for the inside) can also contribute to wind noise if worn or the glass isen't up againt it tight.the same goes for the felt window track the glass slides in.if the glass is cockeyed it wont seat right.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Where is a good source for hinge rebuild kits?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I had the opposite results with Ventshades on my 2001. The cab was quiet until I put them on, and from then on out it sounded like I was driving in a wind tunned with the windows down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals