• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got it backwards?

IndianaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Guys,

New to the forum and I have a question. I kind of went about my 99 Ranger XL 2wd transformation backward.

I just bolted on a set of 20" Zinik chrome rims and Khumo tires. I was running the stock 14" factory wheels and tires. The look is nice, but the damn thing now appears to have been lifted like a 4X4.

Since I have a considerable investment in rims and tires I want to protect them, but I NEED this thing lowered - and quick!

I have very little skills at fabrication, but I can bolt stuff on. What kits would you guys recommend and how low can I go without body modifications?

Most kits claim either a 2" front - 3" rear or a 4" front - 5" rear. Will the 4 -5 work on my truck without cutting it up?

I do not want to go the route of "bagging" the truck.

Thanks,

Tom

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
How much higher are the bumpers from the ground now? Will drop kits even lower the truck to where it was before the wheels were changed? I lowered mine by flipping the brackets/shackles on the rear(but u could buy a "bolt on" kit). I cut some off the front coils, but a bolt on kit is the best way to go on the front (unless u got brain damage like me:icon_hornsup:)

rat_ranger

December 2009 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
first we need to know your tire size. anything over a 245/35r20 on a 98+ ranger will rub on a 4/5 drop. I am running 225/35r20s front and 285/30r20s rear. for 98+ you have control arms and leaf springs. a 2/3 drop is new coils in the front and a flip kit with a lift shackle in the rear. a 4/5 kit is new control arms and springs in the front and the rear gets a flip kit. with either of these kits itll ride the same or a little stiffer than stock. as for cutting it all bolts in, but it is highly reccomended to switch to some pancake bump stops in the rear.

IndianaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size

Rat,

Thanks for the quick reply. The tires are 275/45-20 on 20X8.5 rims. I can't say how much higher it is now after the tire fitment, but I would guess it is 3 to 4 inches anyway.

Tom

rat_ranger

U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
wow, those are big tires. most you can drop without rubbing bad in the front is probably a 2/3 drop. with 4/5 you would either rub the fenders or the inner fenders on bumps. I would say if you want to go down, is in the future when your tires wear out go down to a 245/35r20. that is what alot of dropped guys are running. but for now you could do a shackle flip in the rear and get some 2in drop springs and be set.

Mark98xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Rat,

Thanks for the quick reply. The tires are 275/45-20 on 20X8.5 rims. I can't say how much higher it is now after the tire fitment, but I would guess it is 3 to 4 inches anyway.

Tom
It didnt lift any, you just put bigger rims on with smaller tires so it shows more fender gap between wheel and fender.

Anything bigger than a 26" diameter tire on a truck dropped 4-5 inches in the front will rub

IndianaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
....more still.

It didnt lift any, you just put bigger rims on with smaller tires so it shows more fender gap between wheel and fender.

Anything bigger than a 26" diameter tire on a truck dropped 4-5 inches in the front will rub
Mark,

Since I am new here I don't want to "sound" like a newbie smarta** but, according to the chart available at the address below (and my old but still working eyeballs) the truck is actually higher in the air. The chart shows an increase in the height of the tire, measured from the pavement vertically to the top surface of the tire, at roughly +3.64 inches.

If my math is correct, that would give me approximately 1/2 that measurement in overall height or a rough 2 inches. If I am right a 2" drop kit should get me back to where I started.

I wish I would have done more research before I got such massive hunks of rubber glued to those pretty chrome rims. :sad:

Any thoughts?

Tom

Tire - Wheel Comparison Chart:http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

Please forgive the reference to Dodge Trucks!

rat_ranger

U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
To drop it easy get a set of DJM front springs, and flip the rear shackles. thatll give you 2 in the front 2-3 in the back. itll cost you around 150 to do it yourself that way. you dont have to get new shocks at a 2in drop, but it is reccomended.

Crazythingsido2

07/2009 & 04/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get lowpros and a djm 4/5

Mark98xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Mark,

Since I am new here I don't want to "sound" like a newbie smarta** but, according to the chart available at the address below (and my old but still working eyeballs) the truck is actually higher in the air. The chart shows an increase in the height of the tire, measured from the pavement vertically to the top surface of the tire, at roughly +3.64 inches.

If my math is correct, that would give me approximately 1/2 that measurement in overall height or a rough 2 inches. If I am right a 2" drop kit should get me back to where I started.

I wish I would have done more research before I got such massive hunks of rubber glued to those pretty chrome rims. :sad:

Any thoughts?

Tom

Tire - Wheel Comparison Chart:http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

Please forgive the reference to Dodge Trucks!
Your wrong but here Ill show you its the overall diameter of the tire is what matters. Stock diameter of the 225/70/15 is like 27.4 inches diameter tire.

Your front 225/35/20 has a diameter of 26.2 inches, with a sidewall of 3.1 inches compared to the 6.2 inches of diameter of sidewall the stock tire had.

Your rears are 26.7 and with a sidewall of 3.4 inches compared to the stock 6.2 inches.

So that what is making the truck appear to be higher is the amount of fender gap, hence looking like its on 'stilts" as I would say. Its the loss of sidewall without a drop to make up for it.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

IndianaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your(sp) wrong but here Ill show you its the overall diameter of the tire is what matters. Stock diameter of the 225/70/15 is like 27.4 inches diameter tire.

Your front 225/35/20 has a diameter of 26.2 inches, with a sidewall of 3.1 inches compared to the 6.2 inches of diameter of sidewall the stock tire had.

Your rears are 26.7 and with a sidewall of 3.4 inches compared to the stock 6.2 inches.

So that what is making the truck appear to be higher is the amount of fender gap, hence looking like its on 'stilts" as I would say. Its the loss of sidewall without a drop to make up for it.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

:pissedoff:

Mark,

Overall diameter and total height of tire + wheel ARE related and one is not independent of the other. I still contend that my truck IS higher off the ground, measured by a "seat-of-the-pants" method.

By the way, an actual measurement system (my beloved wife) also concurs regarding the increased height.

If you still contend that it is only an illusion that my truck is higher on the air, I will be forced to drag the old 205/75-14 tire/wheel combos out of the garage and photograph them against the new 275/45-20 tires.

I will bet you a case of "adult beverages" that I am right.

Tom

:icon_cheers:

rat_ranger

U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
His tires are taller than stock. I am running 225/35r20 and 285/30r20. I went with smaller than stock so I could do a 4/5 drop without rubbing. The most IndianaRanger can do is a 2/3 with his current tires. But doing a 2/3 when he wears those tires out he can go to a shorter tire and add on the parts for a 4/5.

IndianaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the back-up Rat.

Tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals