• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD problem solved

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This is not longer a problem, just kinda somethign to lookat if you are having problems.

Well, today when I was leaving work my truck would not start or anything. I turned the key, nothing, not even a click, just silent. Knowing something was wrong, I looked at a few things (starter relay/ selenoid). So, I decided to jump the starter relay on the fender. It worked!! But, the truck lerched backwards(it was in park)... Not knowing why it did that while in park, I tried shifting it. It went into Drive, but no futher. I tried going back to park. It stayed in drive.

So my dad came to get me and we figured out that we could just move the shift arm/ lever on the side of the tranny that gets pushed/ pulled by a linkage that goes to the steering shifter. We pulled that, it shifted and then it started just fine toosince it was now actually in park! So I backed it out of the parking spot, got out, got back under it and moved the arm/lever to Over Drive, and was able to drive it home, then when I got home I just had to get under it agian and pull the lever into the park position.

So, we firgured out that it was the cable housing on the cable that goes from the shifter on the steering column down to that arm on the tranny. The housing had come apart and therefor when I stopped, it stayed in gear or in reverse. I am assuming it broke as I shifted from Drive to Park when I parked at work. So, I have to replace that cable/ housing and hopefully my truck will be up and running agian. In the mean time, I get to drive my moms 07 Mazda 3, thats going to suck. :headbang: haha

Not really anything I need a solution too, I already found it. I just figured it would be good thing for people to read if they have a similar problem. Give them a place to start.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That's a great tip, thanks. But ya gotta be careful if you're crawling under the thing to work the shift lever on the tranny. Driving mom's Mazda may suck, but getting run over by your own truck would suck an even bigger one for sure. But still, good job figuring it out!

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Don't know if you got it or not, but I was being sarcastic about driving my moms car, sucking. It is a pretty fun car to drive.

The truck wasn't going anywhere. The E-brake was on, and my dad was on the brake both times. He would have had to have been on the throttle before it could have moved. But I get your point.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for the double post but I have a question about my problem...

I got the culprit out. The cable is about 2 and a half, maybe 3 feet long. I just need to know if I can get a new shift cable thingy out of any 93-97 Ranger/ Explorer? Or even other years.

EDIT: Nobody knows?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals