• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hopefully someone can help me out

silicon_ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1991 ford ranger. it is a manual 4 cylinder 2.3. i bought it as a winter vehicle and recently it quit on me. i started it and let it run for about 5 mins. before i left and when i got down the road into second gear it stuttered and died on me. when i try to start it it wants to turn over but acts like it isnt getting fuel or spark. i hear the fuel pump kick in and i know it has gas. i checked to see if it is getting spark at all and i am getting it on the passenger side but not on the drivers side. i am thinking maybe the coil pack on the drivers side might be shot but would this cause the truck not to start even though it is getting spark on the passenger side? the only other things i can think of would be the crank sensor and the ignition module. any help would really help me out. thanks!

silicon_ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i seen that. his truck is actually starting, mine isnt. just cranks like it wants to. i was talking to another member on here and he narrowed it down to either the fuel filter is clogged or the timing belt jump a couple teeth. i don't know much about timing belts but he told me how to check to see if i am getting fuel pressure. pushing the pin down on the valve located on the fuel rail. every time i push it down, it spits fuel out. i don't know how much fuel should come out signifying a good or bad fuel filter.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Well, after re-reading your original post, it's a possibility that the timing belt has snapped. That can be fairly easily checked by carefully prying back the timing belt cover and checking the belt for tension. 90% of the time these belts don't jump teeth, they just snap.

If you have a reasonable spray of fuel coming out of the Schrader valve, even if only for a short time, then the engine should be getting enough gas to the injectors to at least start the engine. If the fuel filter were at fault, it should start but not be able to move far, or fast, under it's own power.

silicon_ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i checked the timing belt and i don't see any snappage, but when i crank it over, it doesn't move so i think it snapped. whats the chances that i can just install a new timing belt and everything will be fine? i wasn't going fast at all. didn't hear any loud bangs or clunks, didn't even hear a snap.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Chances are good that a new belt will get you fixed up.

silicon_ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thats what i was hoping.:icon_hornsup: i barely got into second gear before it stalled.

now how hard are the timing belts to install? i have never done them before and i have the hanes manual and it sounds pretty hard.:icon_confused:

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
not a hard jb at all really. sounds worse than it is.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
You most likely did not damage anything. I've lost two belts while out on the road, both times it was nothing more than an inconvenience.

On the old board we had a link to a DIY web site that had good step by step directions with good pictures to back it up. I'll see if I can't find it.

I've been meaning to put together a small page on a belt change for the tech pages, one of these days I just might get around to doing it.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, found the webpage...

timing belt change

Hope your not on dial-up, like me......ZZZZZZZZZZZ.

In the text they say it's a Chevy truck, but it's definitely a Ranger that they are working on in the pictures.

:icon_cheers:

Last edited:

silicon_ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks so much for the help guys. hopefully i can get her up and running soon. will keep you posted.:pray:

btw. whats the good parts to replace while i have all the stuff taken apart? i know on my car when i got the timing belt replaced, i also had the water pump replaced.

Last edited:

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Usually, the water pump and thermostat, as your right in there with them once your down to the timing belt.

silicon_ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
just a little update. got into it real good and found out the timing belt didnt actually snap, it lost about 13 teeth all in a row so it wasnt catching on the smaller sprocket.

but now i am stuck at a dead end. i cant figure out how to get the crankshaft pulley off. i got the four bolts off of there but it still doesn't want to come off. i thought thats all that held it on but it looks like the big bolt on the middle might. i tried to loosen it, but all it wants to do is turn the pulley. do i have to lock the pulley in place somehow?

btw, i looked in my haynes manual and it's no help as far as the pulley is concerned and the link to the DIY website just jumps to the harmonic balancer.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
just a little update. got into it real good and found out the timing belt didnt actually snap, it lost about 13 teeth all in a row so it wasnt catching on the smaller sprocket.

but now i am stuck at a dead end. i cant figure out how to get the crankshaft pulley off. i got the four bolts off of there but it still doesn't want to come off. i thought thats all that held it on but it looks like the big bolt on the middle might. i tried to loosen it, but all it wants to do is turn the pulley. do i have to lock the pulley in place somehow?

btw, i looked in my haynes manual and it's no help as far as the pulley is concerned and the link to the DIY website just jumps to the harmonic balancer.
put it in gear and set parking brake.

silicon_ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
every time i made a revolution on the crank pulley, the truck lurched at me. as for the parking brake, whoever the previous owner was, ripped the parking brake out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals