• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tranny slipping

maximum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 ford range
Transmission
Automatic
I just got a 91 ranger ext cab 3.0 with auto trans, when I put it in OD, the tranny slips thru all the gears, BUT if I put it Drive it seems to shift just fine, I'm hoping someone tells me it's something easy to fix !! :icon_confused:

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have a '91 with the 2.9/a4ld that does exactly what you describe (it's a parts truck)........

It shifts fine if you put it in drive, but slips in OD. I had the pan off and found a significant pile of filings, although the fluid was red, it would leak out of the bell housing after driving it for a while.

Good luck.......

maximum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 ford range
Transmission
Automatic
so maybe a fluid and filter change, and adjust the bands, cross my fingers and maybe get lucky ?!

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so maybe a fluid and filter change, and adjust the bands, cross my fingers and maybe get lucky ?!
Definately drop the pan and see whats in there. If there are filings in there that look like "drill bit" filings (which is what mine had), the tranny is likely toast......

RangerRick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like I have a similar problem.

I'm driving a '96 Ranger, 2 WD, 4.0L V6, with automatic trans.

She works fine under 55MPH driving around town, but once I get onto the interstate, I can feel the transmission stutter before the gear changes on the upshift. Once i get above the 55-75 MPH range it works fine again. When I take it out of OD it doesn't stutter nearly as bad either.

I changed the fluid and the filter early last summer and the magnet had its share of metal particles on it, but nothing larger than small filings. So I am guessing I need to change the ATF and filter. Is there anything else I can do to keep her limping along another year or two? Or something simple on top of the filter change that I could do in the parking lot? I'm at school so, about all i have is a voltmeter and a socket set.

Thanks guys.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I dont know much about trannys, but I would check the fluid regularly to make sure your not loosing any? what about the lucas tranny fluidTry this?

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Sounds like I have a similar problem.

I'm driving a '96 Ranger, 2 WD, 4.0L V6, with automatic trans.

She works fine under 55MPH driving around town, but once I get onto the interstate, I can feel the transmission stutter before the gear changes on the upshift. Once i get above the 55-75 MPH range it works fine again. When I take it out of OD it doesn't stutter nearly as bad either.

I changed the fluid and the filter early last summer and the magnet had its share of metal particles on it, but nothing larger than small filings. So I am guessing I need to change the ATF and filter. Is there anything else I can do to keep her limping along another year or two? Or something simple on top of the filter change that I could do in the parking lot? I'm at school so, about all i have is a voltmeter and a socket set.

Thanks guys.
Sounds more like the torque converter lockup is either slipping or doing what's known as "Torque Converter Chuggle". When the TCC (torque converter clutch) is applied, it does in fact give the feel of a shift in most cases. GM had this problem bad enough as well...you could frankly drive at just about 48mph...hold it steady at that speed..and it felt like it was going into gear/out of gear/into gear/out of gear. pretty annoying. Their solution at the time was to tell drivers to go faster or slower LOL!

Changing filter and fluid, and checking the condition would be a good idea. Gives a great perspective on just how well the physical shape the unit is in.

S-

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Betcha the O/D one way clutch is done. Needs to be torn down and overhauled.

Changing the filter will do squat.

RangerRick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well either way, Do you guys think it will limp along for another 6000 miles? Or is that pressing my luck?

Thanks for the advice too, guys!

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Pressing your luck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals