• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

turbocharging a 2.3L

ncsdaonex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylider
Transmission
Manual
okay i have a 2.3 L ranger and i want to turbo it for under 1,000 dollars, this includes exhaust manifold, intake manifold for carburator, holley carburator, okay i was told i need forged low compression pistons, and yes i want to use the stock motor, is a holley carb going to give more hp than stock fuel injection and will it work for the turbo. I am planning on getting the turbo from a turbo coupe motor. I will drill holes and tap holes to run the oil for the turbo, i am going to leave everything else stock, i am putting in a stock transmission and im hoping it will take it, i am hoping to get 15 to 20 lbs of boost. What else can i do to the motor to get more hp out of it without spending much money. will the stock differential take 15-20 lbs of boost

Blueovalboy89

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I'm swapping a turbo coupe motor into my 2.3L ranger too, and i have been learning a lot this swap. For one, i wouldn't go with the holley. Its not impossible to turbo a carburetor, but its a lot harder than fuel injection, and less reliable. In this application, you will be able to make more power from the efi. http://www.stinger-perfor mance.com/ has plenty of parts for these turbo motors and there not too bad on their prices. As far as the diff goes, i don't know for sure because i havent finished the motor swap on mine, but i dont think youll have a problem with it unless you have big plans for this motor to make well over stock numbers

ncsdaonex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylider
Transmission
Manual
I'm swapping a turbo coupe motor into my 2.3L ranger too, and i have been learning a lot this swap. For one, i wouldn't go with the holley. Its not impossible to turbo a carburetor, but its a lot harder than fuel injection, and less reliable. In this application, you will be able to make more power from the efi. http://www.stinger-perfor mance.com/ has plenty of parts for these turbo motors and there not too bad on their prices. As far as the diff goes, i don't know for sure because i havent finished the motor swap on mine, but i dont think youll have a problem with it unless you have big plans for this motor to make well over stock numbers

im not swaping motors, im just trying to get a turbo off the turbo coupe, im making the stock motor take the extra hp, and i need to know from someone if the differential and axle can take it

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
From what I've been told, the tranny will give out before the rearend does. This is bearing in mind you will drive it reasonably and not be dumping the clutch on a normal basis. Remember, with a turbo, your power builds as RPM builds. Drive normal and you will probably get both tranny and rear to last a while.

James

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals