• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need urgent help on cv axle info!

cNo7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1999 (prod. date of 8/98) Ranger....4.0L 4x4.

The boots gave out after 138k miles and now i'm searching for remanufactured replacements. I'd prefer not to send them off to rebuild them ($105 each...as opposed to less than that for reman's), but here's my problem. In calling all your major (and some local) parts stores, they're all pulling up the same thing. On my truck, I don't have that 1 1/4" nut holding the axle in...but a plastic snap ring. I double checked my research with these parts stores, and no one is finding anything that uses a snap ring! I've even given them the ford part number of 5F2Z-3B436 and 3B437, but they're not pulling up any parts that will cross-reference!

So, am I the only one that's encountered this issue? Any know of a place where I can get some reman's or do I have to suck it up and have them rebuilt? This is my daily driver...so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Zerocide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well at that point i would question weather or not you can use a bolt insted of the snap plastic.

also, did you ranger make any noise before the CVs gave out? im getten some squelling when i drive around and i cant tell if its the CV or the boot, either way i got a 99 ranger so i might be in the same boat as you.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You don't have the nut because you have the pulse vacuum hublock system. It requires a different axle with the snap ring.

In my area, AutoZone sells 98-00 (the years with the vacuum system) CV axles for $75 reman'd. Honestly, on these it's not usually worth just replacing only the boot. I'd just get the whole axle and be done with it.

Also, your parts people are idiots if they can't find 98-00 Ranger axles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals