• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L A4LD conversion to C5

Jonodo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 86 Ranger XLT 2.9L and the A4LD has begun to start puking. I Just had the thing rebuilt not even 60 000 km ago. The tranny shop that rebuilt it said that it is not possible to mount a C5 to the 2.9. That the bolt patterns on the bell housing flanges are different. I read the tech pages but am still confused.
I am mechanically inclined but a welder :icon_welder: by trade. So expect a lot of questions.

Question 1: I live in the foot hills of Alberta (Calgary), Now would this terrain screw a tranny after a complete rebuild in only 54765 km?

Question 2: Would it really cost $1800 just to change the shift bands?

Question 3: Will a C5 Fit and how hard is it to get it in there?

If Anyone has any questions about proper weld procedures I'm your man.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Jonodo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have no idea why this posted twice.....?

Redriverranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The C5 from behind a 2.8 will bolt to your 2.9. The C5 also came factory behind v8's, so that is probably where they are confused as they are a different bolt pattern. It has an interchangeable bellhousing just like the C4. I recommend replacing the flexplate with the 2.8 flexplate and spacer as well. It is a shorter transmission, so crossmember and driveshaft modifications are necessary. You can re-use the starter you have. You have to come up with a shifter.

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The C5 also came factory behind v8's

what V8's and in what

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did this swap on my '86 2.9 extended cab 4x4. only we had used the main shaft and tailhousing off a c5 and put them on a C4. What Redriverranger said is correct. and i used the shifter from a C5 but the lingage was already moded just to be one rod instead of the way it was stock.

Redriverranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The C5 also came factory behind v8's

what V8's and in what
Early to mid 80's full size trucks. They all used a larger bellhousing and torque converter. That is where the lock up converter crap that everyone talks about came from. The larger cousin. As far as I can tell, and my local tranny shop confirms, BII's and Rangers never had a lock up converter C5. They all had a very small high stall converter. The lock up converter that the service manuals refer to was in the larger straight 6 and v8 tranny's.

And before anyone asks, I have two v6 c5's, one of them in my truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals