• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

first time lowering a truck

wrigley_1285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok so i don't have the truck yet but that's why i'm on here trying to get some info before i get it. i'm planning on getting a 95 ranger ext cab 4.0 V6 5speed 2WD.

ok here's what's on my mind. i know i don't want to go air ride or any other type of adjustable suspension. i also know there are lowering beams and lowering springs for the front or you could also cut your front coil springs. and in the rear i know there is alot of things you can do.

so...i'll end up getting some 3" drop beams for the front. and i know after i install them i'm going to want it lower. so i was wondering if i could put the 2" drop springs in with the lowering beams. or if i could install the drop coils and cut them so i could get another inch of drop. so help on this would be awesome.

now in the rear i was planning on doing an axle flip. and if i wanted more what would be the best thing to do to have the best handling. i know blocks aren't suppose to be good for handling. what about flipping the shackles or hangers, don't know which one is suppose to be flipped of it's both. what are some other options and how low can i go without having to notch the frame.

does anyone have any pics of a truck with anything that i've described or any links to help me out?

also will these chrome splash rims with 235/60-15 tires fit with lowering it that much. i like the way stock rims look on lowered trucks.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Oh the first is always fun.

Yes, you can install the 2" drop coils with the 3" drop beams for a total of 5". I don't like to see people cut their coils when there are better options.

For the rear, the flip kit is the easiest and cheapest way to get low. You will want to install that first and see how your truck sits before going further. You could then flip your shackles for another 2" or so. That's going to put you extremely low. You'll for sure need a c-notch for axle travel.

That tire size may work for you. I am running 225-60-15 up front w/o issue. I could probably step up a size with min. rubbing. It will depend on your backspacing and I think the stock rims have more backspacing and are not as wide as mine. I have 15x8 rims with a -11mm offset that gives me 4" of backspacing.

James

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I lowered the front of my '89 xlt by cutting 2 coils off each of the springs (I would rather have bought a lowering kit).I lost some travel between the beams & the rubber bump stops, so I had to cut some off the bump stops, then bounce the front end to make sure the tie-rods didn't hit anything when the front end bottomed out.(You wouldn't have to worry about modifying the bump stops when using a kit). Then I had to re-align the front end using the string trick in the tech library & a pair of adjustable camber bushings from NAPA (probably no need to re-align with a drop kit). Now the ride is slightly stiffer than before, but still pretty good. If you use 2" lowering coils with the drop kit, you'll probably have to get the front end re-aligned. On the rear springs, measure the distance between the top of the axle to the rubber bump stop: for example you measure 5"---if you flip the axle, you're gonna looseover half of that 5" travel-can you llive with that? On the other hand, you can flip the rear spring bracket/shackle at the rear of each spring and remove the over-load leaf and get 4" to 5" of drop while loosing only a little travel between the axle & the bump stops. Wait for the other guys to reply so you can consider all the options(and in case I said anything backwards).

Last edited:

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't recommend removing any part of the leaf spring pack. I did that as my first mod to the lowered life. If looked great at first, but the rear kept sagging as time went on. That's how I ended up with new drop leaves.

James

wrigley_1285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i don't know what the backspacing on the rims is. they are factory rims and i think they are 8 inches wide. when i bought them i was told that they came off a 1993 ranger splash with 2WD. I was told they would fit my 4X4, that wasn't true. has anyone else used these rims on a lowered ranger with drop beams and drop coils.

i don't think i'll remove any of the springs in the rear. thanks for the pic of the hanger and shackle.

what company or website sells the drop leaves. and how much do they lower the rear end. has anyone used drop leaves with flipping the hangers so that they didn't have to flip the axle and loose travel.

also does anyone have any pics of a truck with drop beams and drops coils on the front?

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
I have drop beams and coils. I don't think I have any pics to send though, my puter has taken its lat bow and I am on a borrowed lap top.

I think factory rims are 7" wide and have 4.5" backspacing.

My springs are from chassi tech I think. I was able to get any drop I wanted with in reason. I asked for 3" drop leaves and ended up with 6+" for some reason. I don't know if they sent me springs for a Splash or what, all I know is I like it!

James

Hibs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Here is a shackle stock...

and after being "flipped"

I plan to do this in about a week, i'll let you know how it goes.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I fergot to mention---before bolting on the '36 bed/fenders, I added 2" x 2" cross braces to the chassis to set the bed on--to get the flipped hangars/brackets to clear the bed when the springs flex...

Trooper Thorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I fergot to mention---before bolting on the '36 bed/fenders, I added 2" x 2" cross braces to the chassis to set the bed on--to get the flipped hangars/brackets to clear the bed when the springs flex...
You don't have to worry about that with a Ranger though when you flip 'em.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals