• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch master cyl line too short after body lift??

Fordking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently installed a 3" body in my 1986 ranger 4x4. After checking all my lines and lengthening one brake line i noticed that the plastic/nylon line running from clutch master cylinder to slave cylinder was tight as... well it was super tight. After looking at many auto part stores, hydraulic specialty suppliers and even Ford dealerships I decided to check the auto wrecker. Nothing but the same length so i decided to try a line from an f-150. Being that the fittings were different a thought id try to modify it with my old fittings. One problem, that hose material is super tough stuff. tried heating it but only partially got the fitting in. tried all sorts of ways but nadda. Anyone know if there are aftermarket lines for this problem? I cant believe that I could be the only one with thtis problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I never had a problem with the line being too short but it could probably happen. I can assume the line you have isn't the original. Take your line to the parts store. An F-150 line should be long enough or look for a Ranger line. Reguardless where the line comes from there are adapters for the fittings, not all parts stores have them though. You are probably best off looking at a local parts place not a chain store. They will ususally have more knowledge to what you need or where you can get it compared to a high school student telling you there is no such thing.

Matt

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Aren't the F-150 slave cylinders the same as the Ranger ones(lest the fittings)? If so you may just be able to put the f150 slave in....and not have to adapt....

Fordking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks 4 the replies. I finally figured it out. Basically had to us the f150 line. cut it down a bit. Chopped my old fittings out and heated them and the new line just enough to make em join. This took a few tries though. Too hot and it melts the tube. Too cold and its like trying to punch through a brick wall.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
no the F-150's only used the same slave cylinder as the '88-92 and '93-current rangers.

There is a "fix" for the problem, but it involves getting another line from a donor vehicle
the plastic clutch line CAN be spliced with the compression fittings made specifically for splicing plastic line, generally thses fpecial compression fitings are available at TRUCK (I'm talking SEMI's) parts stores.You want the type of compression fitting with the little brass tube you jam INSIDE the cut end of tube before inerting it in the rest of the fitting.

AD

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
no the F-150's only used the same slave cylinder as the '88-92 and '93-current rangers.

AD
Isn't that what I said? :dntknw:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals