• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cold air question

ch23119

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I want to put a cold air intake on and was wondering what others have found success with.. whether it be the k and n oil style or a dry style filter.. pro/cons and other advice. thanks

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You already have a cold air intake.

None of the aftermarket "cold" air intakes are actually cold.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
+1

Spend your money on something else. Like tools.....

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
+1 all those cold air intake sales ppl are juss after the all mighty buck bro. Buy tools, cool stuff that not everyone has, then you can build usefull stuff

dirtywheeler1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
okay i have a 91 ranger with the 4.0 liter engine. and i just purchased a "cold air intake" from autospeedstore.com and as i was taking off my old intake i discovered that the intake was pulling the air directly from my header. how is that remotely close to a cold air intake. and what am i supposed to do with that 1.5 inch whole in the top of my header if i do completely take off my old intake. (i left parts just cause i thought it was a good idea) idk you are down on an intake but i love mine.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
You're wasting your time. That hose takes warm air from AROUND you manifold not from in your manifold (that would be exhaust gasses). It helps to warm the engine up faster and prevent throttle body icing (stuck open throttle), its uses a blend door (like a valve) thats controlled by vacuum, under throttle it doesnt use the exhaust manifold air. That being said, my exhaust heat shields were missing when I got my rig along with the, for lack of a better word, "warm air tube", Ive never had a problem without it. The stock intake is capable of flowing plenty good for your engine, leave it alone.

michowski

Reaction score
I got an air intake. Took off that warm air crap and just have a big 3 inch intake with a cone filter on the end. I wouldnt change back to stock but thats just my opinion. Breaths easier, cooler, overall better.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I got an air intake. Took off that warm air crap and just have a big 3 inch intake with a cone filter on the end. I wouldnt change back to stock but thats just my opinion. Breaths easier, cooler, overall better.
Cone filter on the end of the throttle body? That just sucks in air from under the hood, which is much warmer than the air drawn by the stock intake, from down by your bumper. Ever stuck your head out a car window? Its colder than inside.

dirtywheeler1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
1 up to michowski i got the full intake and under full throttle it rivals my buddies STI. its loud i feel a difference and the air under my hood HAS to be colder than the air coming off my headers.

michowski

Reaction score
Cone filter on the end of the throttle body? That just sucks in air from under the hood, which is much warmer than the air drawn by the stock intake, from down by your bumper. Ever stuck your head out a car window? Its colder than inside.
Theres also a difference of how easy the air can get through all the tubes. Going from the bumper, into the box, up into the tube and finally into the manifold is definatly more restrictive then just a single tube with 2 bends and a filter on it by the bumper.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Well if you mounted your filter by the bumper you're probably alright. It sounded like you just put the filter on the end of the throttle body.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
1 up to michowski i got the full intake and under full throttle it rivals my buddies STI. its loud i feel a difference and the air under my hood HAS to be colder than the air coming off my headers.
It is only pulling warm air off your exhaust manifold during start up, to help keep the throttle body from icing up. Under acceleration its pulling cold air from the grill.

But its pointless to try and argue with people that think these shiny pieces of chrome with a big oily filter that can lead to a damaged MAF and voided warranty are going bring improvments.

Gaining HP is not cheap, it costs big money. A stock engine is not going to pull any more air through an aftermarket "cold air' intake than it will through a stock intake. So sorry guys, the only things thats leading to this 'faster' feeling is because your wallet is lighter.

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So sorry guys, the only things thats leading to this 'faster' feeling is because your wallet is lighter.
They ARE louder.

That certainly affects the "ass dyno." Or at least lets them think it does....

The gains one can get from a filter alone are not significant and can be (slightly) negative.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
these guys are experienced. they arn't quoting hear say, Ill be the first to spout off when mike is wrong, but 9 times out of 10 he isn't. CAI do nothing in themself, they will help in combination.

noone is above the rules, mods, tech advisors, admin... if anyone steps too far out of line, the are subject to ban.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Holy crap are you guys dense!!!

Have you ever taken apart your filter box to see the tiny hole that the engine gets to breath through ..... cold air or not!!

In this case MAKG is absolutely correct!! just adding an after market filter isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference. It can't because it isn't the restriction.

Anyone who tells you that a free flowing intake isn't worth power obviously has never bothered to try one!!

As I've stated before, I have first hand experience with the R&D behind the WMS cold air for the 05 and up Mustangs, and have personally seen the gains on the Dyno!!

Actually, for the first two years in business, I shared facilities with said Dyno.
I've seen hundreds of different combinations, before & after tests, and R&D sessions, and have yet to see a free flow intake that didn't make power (unless of course someone forgot to plug in the MAF sensor)

If you guys continue to give poor advice based purely on conjecture, I'm sorry but since no one will delete my account or ban me from this site I'm going to call you on it!!!

Better do your homework before you post something you've heard about!!!!
Do you have any dyno #'s for a Ranger that are unbiased?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals