• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 duals

ch23119

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am new to the forum and was looking to put dual exhaust on my '04 edge. any pics or advice concerning their adventure with this? I have briefy looked and can already tell i need to a new spot for my tire.. just looking for advice on what people have done before

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
True duals or just tips? That will be a big question. Legality is an issue with true duals im pretty sure, but everyone will ask that.

ch23119

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well whats everyone advice regarding tips, true duals, or single. i live in ohio as far as legality goes and i'm startin to figure out what i want but want others advice. i want a better sound but also want performance too. i do combination of some city drivin as Im in school, highway and offroading when i got the shot

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Dont expect hardly any gains by doing exhaust (except headers). A single exhaust (around 2 1/2" or so) will sound and flow plenty good.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya, I'll second that, dont expect ANY performince gain from getting dual exaust tossed on. Thanks to high gas prices and emissions standards these days, most new vehicles are pritty effecient when it comes to exausts and what not. Maybe adding headers and getting a well built "tuned" exaust built would help. After a fair bit of research on both gas and diesel applications, dual exausts done realy make a difference on there own.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want duals I would just pick whatever muffler with dual outlets or get a y-pipe and take it out however you want. Usually when you go out the back the pipes are outside the frame, so your spare tire should be ok. On a new vehicle it isn't worth loosing the cats just for true duals IMO, especially if it has a V-6.

91exploreron37

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What about on my 91 v-6 where there is only one oxygen sensor after the y-pipe? I want to run true duals so would it be possible to put he O2 sensor in an H-pipe or would there not be enough exhaust gas in there? I already have headers, no cat, and straight pipe to the back.

Silv3rFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 03 FX4 (4.0 stepside) and was wondering if cutting out the length of pipe between the end of the muffler to the exit of the tailpipe would increase the sound.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it will increase in-cab resonance and sound like crap on the highway.

and on top of that, leaving it dumping under the truck will allow the corrosive exhaust gasses to expedite rust of the underside of the truck...not to mention you risk allowing the exhaust to leak into the cab.

Silv3rFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the help

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I do believe gibson sells a dual exhaust cat back now, I would go with that if I had to do it over.

Danger06Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986/2001
Make / Model
Ford/Mercury
Engine Size
4.0L/351M/2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 06 FX4 and went to LMC Truck and got a dual catback system that did not use a muffler but instead a set of resonators, it was cheap and sounds pretty good. Ive had people ask if I did an engine swap, from idle to about 3,000 rpm it has a nice rumble and above that its not really loud in the cab. I like it but as soon as I can afford it I wouldn't mind getting the Gibson set up

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
witthout doing a crapload of changes a catback exhaust with a nicer muffler (Flowmaster 40 series , etc ) is probably your best bet.

fordman8991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a custom setup on my ranger and i love it. i have the dual cat setup (91) i cut one off and had a chambered box muffler welded to it with a dual outlet with 2-1/2 duals back. muffler is V-force (cheapy) but sounds nice... then i added headers and gave it a nice tone. i would use stainless tips though. its worth the money they last a lot longer. i bought magnaflow stainless rolled edge 12 inch tips... just remember the longer the tip the heavier they are which can mean breaking hangers.
here's a video of my truck you can get some sound out of it to hear...

picture of my setup. receiver is gone now and the pipes are evened out lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals