• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Draining P/S Gear Box

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I'm just putting a new PS pump on the truck (sorry....new to me). And the power steering fluid in it is FUBARed. How can I drain and flush out the gearbox?

I know the old 'Suck, Fill, Repeat' method, but is there a better way? A way to do it while the pump is still off? Should I just jack the truck and crank the wheel and see how much I can pump out of it manually? Hell, is there a drain plug on the box?

Ideas appreciated!

Thanks

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The "drain plug" is the return line.

Jack up the truck or pop off the steering linkage, disconnect the return line from the pump, and turn the wheel stop to stop. No need to run the engine (in fact, it's not good for the pump to do so while you are draining out the fluid).

Filling it is similar. Connect all the lines and work the air out by turning the steering wheel stop to stop with the engine off. Do it SLOWLY as Ford pumps can back up when the engine isn't running. I like to do this while watching the reservoir, with one hand through the driver's window to turn the wheel.

If the gear is removed from the vehicle, you can put it face down in a container (like for oil changes) and turn the input with a ratchet stop to stop.

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks boss!

I kinda figured that that was my option.....I{ just didnt want to put this newish pump onto a system where all the fluid in the box was still totally hooped!

Much Appreciated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals