• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

strange noises under the hood

02rangerguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For about a month now my truck has been squealing almost like a belt, but it doesn't get loud at all like a belt. I bought an automotive stethoscope and the squeal is definitely not coming from any of the pulleys in the front. But it sounds like it is coming off of the engine somewhere and if I rev it up sometimes it stops all together for a little while but it does get a little louder as i rev the engine. The vehicle isn't leaking any fluids at all from what I can see. and maybe 4 or 5 days ago it sounded as if the suspension was making a bad squeaking sound whenever I drive it, or push down on the front of the passenger side. It sounds like it is coming from near the wheel. I sprayed it with some pb blaster but it didn't help. As its snowing now I'd really like to not break down. Otherwise it has been fine driving around aside from the noises.

its a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder with about 78k miles on it

I just bought this truck 2 months ago. So thanks for looking.

trioxin1308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine too

02Rangerguy,

I have an 03, and its done that "squeal" since I got the truck brand new. Every winter llike clock work it will happen, never in the summer. Dealer has tired to fix it probably 8 times, replaced belt numerous times, all pulleys, no change whatsoever. They finally just pretty much gave up and it still does it now with 68k on it. Usually if i rev it above 4k rpm it will stop and then as it slows back to idle it no longer does it. Annoying nosie, but I think it doesnt harm anything.

T.

Tortuga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have an 09 Ranger and I have the same noise. Sounds like a squeeling belt but not as loud. Very faint but audible, not annoying though. I guess its just normal.

ohstone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine did the same thing. Its a shaft that the fan pulley runs on. Its built into the timing cover and the whole thing has to come of to fix it.

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mine did that - ended up to be dry alternator bearing. you can check by running the engine for a (very!) short while with the serpentine belt off.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
to the OP have you checked your iac valve?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals