• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tranny swap

noyb72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 87 Ranger 2.9/FM-146. I want to put the FM-146 into my 84 BII that currently has a C-5. I think the biggest deal will be the D-shafts. I think the front of the Ranger should fit the BII, but will I need to do anything to the rear? I am planning on using the Ranger cross-member and padel assembly etc..

Any tips or pitfalls someone may have experienced would be very helpful. I know M5OD is the preferred tranny but the price was right on this truck (FREE!)

Also, I'll be parting the Ranger out. Anyone who needs gen-1 parts on the Olympic Peninsula, feel free to ask.

Ron

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
As far as I know, you "should" retime your motor after doing the swap becuase the timing is different between the manuals and autos.

The front shaft from the Ranger should work, yes, and the rear will have to change. I'm not positive if it needs to be lenghtened, or shortened, maybe somebody else can answer that.

I don't think the pedal assembly's are different, but they may be. If nothing else, you may be able to get away with just swaping the manual pedals only onto your auto pedal bracket. (if that makes sense)

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
As far as I know, you "should" retime your motor after doing the swap becuase the timing is different between the manuals and autos.
It isn't much to worry about. I didn't change anything on the timing in my '86 BII after the manual swap; heck, I am even running the auto PCM and getting about 16-17 mpg.

The front shaft from the Ranger should work, yes, and the rear will have to change. I'm not positive if it needs to be lenghtened, or shortened, maybe somebody else can answer that.
It would be easier to get a correct front drive shaft. They are a dime a dozen.

I don't think the pedal assembly's are different, but they may be. If nothing else, you may be able to get away with just swaping the manual pedals only onto your auto pedal bracket. (if that makes sense)
The auto brake pedal assembly is completely different from a manual brake pedal assembly. The swap is easy and can be done in less than 1 hour.

I need some door lock rods if your truck has power door locks.

noyb72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help, it doesn't sound like it will be to hard. Both trucks have manual locks and windows. I'm keeping the doors off the Ranger since they don't have windwings. The BII doors will become half doors. I'm putting the front bench from the Ranger in, the BII and Extra cab are the same, and I'll probably keep the BII dash because it's already opened up to double DIN for the GPS. This truck WILL be chopped someday, so I'll probably cut up the Ranger bed as donor rails. Doesn't sound like much is left, but the rest of the running gear is there. and the interior and cab less front seat and doors.

I haven't had a chance to look, does anyone know if I am going to have to change the Dshaft drom flange to yoke or vice-versa?

Thanks again for the help.

Ron

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It all depends on what transfer case you have. Some BW1350's had a yoke output rear and some had a flange. If you have your stock drive shaft shortened, then you wont have to change anything as long as you use the same transfer case.

noyb72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Cool,
I was hoping I wouldn't need to shorten the shaft, but was pretty certain I would have to. Beings how I DO have to mod the shaft, which is stronger, flange or yoke? Are there any upgraded joints available? I've thrown a joint on the front shaft before. That SUCKS.

Oh ya, the 2.8 is toast. I'm putting in a long block, so I'll be retiming it then.

Thanks

Ron

Last edited:

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It is all a personal preference. The flanges are strong for your application IMO.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals